Commercial Range/Griddle Cleaning/restoration - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
jxr

Rewards Points: 10

Commercial Range/Griddle cleaning/restoration

I have a Garland g286 Range that I picked up from someone local here during their remodel. Everything is said to work, but I really wanted to give it a good cleaning before I installed it in my home.

I'm going to be cleaning the stainless still with just a mild detergent with a soft cloth, but as for the burners I'm not sure. They seem to be made of iron and since they're not the cooking surface I'm assuming I can use some aggressive. I was thinking maybe using ammonia then using a high temperature coating/paint on them?

This is my first attempt so please if I'm way off let me know. As for the griddle its showing some rust. I've seen places that sell a cleaning kit for it but it costs nearly $120 bucks.

Theres not much information online about stripping a griddle. Once doing so I'll reseason it and I know that will keep rust away, but I gotta clean it really good first. I've heard some people would sand it or grind it.

So I guess my major questions are how to clean the burners and if I should paint them?

How to clean the griddle?

Thanks I'm exciting about getting this oven back in service!

Link to full album here ... https://picasaweb.google.com/Joseph....eat=directlink

Advertisement

jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Don't worry about the burners to much. The metal is thin so any attempt to clean the rust off may lead to a hole, and render it useless. Blow them out is about all that I would do.

Advertisement

Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Let me clarify that statement..the tubes I would leave alone. The burner section can be sandblasted. You will have to coat them like you are seasoning a cast iron skillet or they will rust again.
For the griddle get a grill brick or the black scotch brite pad. Get the griddle good and hot and scrub away. Don't throw ice or water on the top as this may warp it.
If you can't find the grill brick or pad, go to waffle house and slide the cook a $10 for the one he is using
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
jxr

Rewards Points: 10

The tubes are a thick iron. I was thinking about using a ammonia solution soak for a little while then rinse dry and coat with high temp grill paint. You really think that's gonna hard it?

As for the griddle. I used vegetable oil and salt to get off some rust but Im thinking a fine grit sand paper is in order. Grill bricks are great but I thought those are for clew if a grill when you done want to harm the seasoning. You think it'll help with the rust?
jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Get your self a 4 1/2 " angle grinder with a few wire wheels--should only set you back $30 to $40 .

Wire wheel the cast iron burners and then oil them down with vegetable oil and warm the iron with a torch.(that will set the oil into the iron)

The grill top can be cleaned up with the wire wheel and then sanded with a palm sander--

then heat and oil it.

Go to a restaurant supply house and get a grill stone and a lava block to maintain it after you get it back to use.

( Another restaurant guy here)----Mike----