Cold Water Only Fill Issue Washing Machine - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

cold water only fill issue washing machine

Have Admiral super duty, super capacity 8 cycle washer, purchased Aug 2010. on initial fill of cold water only, fill stops after about 2 minutes. Waiting a couple minutes and filling will continue again for minute or two. Hot water fill works fine

Help!! Please. Thanks

Advertisement

rpulley825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

One simple thing to check is the screen in the hose to see if it's pluged up.
If you have the old style rubber hoses it would be a great time to change them out with new stainless steel braded hoses.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

thank you joecaption. already have stainless hoses. have had an increasingly recurrent with very hard water and calcium deposits. I wish I had stock in CLR. am on a well for anther 12-18 months. using a whole house carbon filter which has greatly reduced many issues. What I would love to find is an inline filter for the cold input line to the washer with a male on one end and female connection on other. does anything exist like that? I am aware small carbon particles are likely the source of blockage...that's why I desire in line filter

Last edited by rpulley825; 10-29-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add'l information
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Many in line filters available, adapters to change female to male or vice versa. ( Of course many frown on such trans-fitting adapters but they were made that way and it is not their choice.)

The intermittent thing is puzzling, clogged screen usually causes slow filling not on and off, sediment in solenoid usually prevents it from turning off. Temp sensor usually causes problems hot or warm filling. Clogging screens should occur in both hot and cold lines, sediment may be settling in water heater, that's a potential problem in itself.. Sediment may be dissolving in hot water.

Does this occur on all cycles, wash and rinse? How about warm or hot wash and cold rinse? Does washer fill with proper temp on warm? If cold cuts out and hot keeps running, hot should cut out when water gets too hot, not come on again till cold comes back on..

Still may be temp sensor problem, solenoid, timer/selector switches, even water level sensor and switch. Check that all electrical connections are tight. ( Unplug washer first. You knew that.) Next step would be to check switches and valves with ohm meter.

Have you disconnected hose from washer and just run water thru hose? Might need to screw an adapter, or male end of garden hose on fill hose to hold screen in place. Run water thru disconnected hose with out screen. This could tell you if problem is in line or washer. Temporarily switch hoses, see if "new" hot and cold act differently. Can you hear valve opening and closing when water stops and starts?

Last edited by notmrjohn; 10-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Wow a lot of possibilities. I hope it's not the pump and I agree difficult to condemn pump seeing hot works fine. I'll let you know how I make out. thank you for input
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

" not the pump" washing machine pump not involved in filling. It only circulates water already in tub, then drains it. As I say its puzzling why problem is only with cold. makes me suspect electrical problem with cold water valve and its controls. Could be a bizarre sediment thing that dissolves in hot water and doesn't clog screen, in cold it does dissolve but much slower. I think bit of charcoal could act that way. A quick swap of hoses, at different temp settings may tell you something. Have you tried it without screens? Be warned, if it is large sediment or grit, it could cause a solenoid to not close completely, which may be easily fixed by back flush...but...

Advertisement

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notmrjohn For This Useful Post:
rpulley825 (11-01-2012)