Coils Freeze Up - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

coils freeze up

Ok, So I have been working on a 1930s ice box converted into a kegerator. The way it was built is an inside shell made of metal. Insulation all around it and then another metal shell around all that made of metal (here is the link to how i built it. It is kinda long http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/plea...erator-404933/) I had to take it apart and replace the insulation and I put a cooling system in it from a dorm fridge. The fridge had cold coils on the back and hot coils on the side. It didn't have the tray that most minifridges have. At first I put the cold coils taped to the back of the inside metal shell of the fridge, and the hot coils on the outside against the outer shell on the sides. I sealed off the inside. I could only get the fridge down to about 55-60 degrees. I then cut out the inside back and moved the coils to inside the kegerator and added two layers of foam board to the inside.

The bottom three coils keep freezing up so I figure I need to get more airflow over them to transfer heat out of the kegerator. i would like to get the temp down to at least 40 but I understand the cooling system was made for an enclosure that is 2-3 times smaller. So it might be a lost cause. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it colder without having to take it entirely apart and get a bigger cooling system?

Sorry about no pictures, but I don't see any buttom to upload a pic of my computer.

Advertisement

humpadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

coils freeze up

if your using a dorm refrig cooling system, it is way undersized

Advertisement