Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Clothes Washer Leaking Lots of Water from Bottom - HELP!

Hey guys,

So last year I purchased a used electric washer/dryer set. I ran a load at the sellers house and everything was fine (they were inside in a wood-floored laundry room).

They worked well for a few weeks but then the washer started leaking water from the bottom. I tried checking the water release hose and it seemed to be on tight and it seemed the water was coming from somewhere else.

I couldn't figure it out so kind of let it run like that for awhile. As winter approached, the leak completely stopped all together. This went on until yesterday, I did a small load of clothes and when I came out the floor was covered in water.

I would say 3-4 gallons of water if I had to guess.

I find it strange that it completely stopped and then started again, which makes me think maybe something is just off?

Can anyone lend me some advice or possibly know what the heck is going on with my sporadic washer?!

Thanks!!!

gamingneeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

I'm assuming this is a top loader. Did you use a lower water level when you did this last load or was the tub full. If it was full, check to see if the machine is level (front to back and left to right). I had sporadic water on the floor (not gallons) and I could figure it out. Once I leveled the machine it stopped.

Once you find water on the floor, you should open the top of the machine and see if you can find water on the tub or cabinet. That may clue you in on where the leak is.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Make and model would be a big help to figure this out.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Loose hose is most likely the cause. Only way to find out, is to take the front panel and rear panel off, then watch what is happening while it is running.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 728

I worked at a place that had extremely hard water. The washers there would periodically piddle on the floor. Turned out the hose from the fill valve had rocked up on the end to the point it was shooting water out so fast that half of it splashed over and made its way to the floor.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

If you have warranty card or any sort of booklet then you can easily get help from that related machine and its function.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjoe View Post
If you have warranty card or any sort of booklet then you can easily get help from that related machine and its function.
What is a warranty card or warranty booklet going to do? Allow them to wipe up the water spilling out, is about all it is good for.

The OP problem is very simple, but they have to lift the top while it is running, to see where the water is coming from.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 274

Actually gamingneeds said that
“which makes me think maybe something is just off”

that’s why I said try to find out booklet (a small detailed book about the functions of machine, in which we get step by instructions, how to on or off or run).
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Again alexjoe a booklet is not going to show you how to fix this problem. The only way to fix it, is diagnose the problem, see if it is just a loose hose, broken pump, or not worth fixing at all.

Stuff like this, you cannot learn from a book, you learn from doing. It is like working on older cars and trucks. You cannot fix them by watching videos and reading a book telling you how.