Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Clothes Dryer Duct Repair

I have a twenty year old home with my Dryer on the second floor. My dryer vent enters the wall and makes an immediate 90 deg. turn downward and then about 12 inches later a 90 deg. turn towards the outside wall which is about 15 feet away. This puts the dryer duct between the 1st floor ceiling and the second floor flooring. On the downward section the dryer exhaust vent (which is all hard piped) has separated. I believe that all of the rest of the run is in-tact it is just the short section between the first and second floor that is leaking dryer exhaust. (It appears that the support for the lower elbow is flawed and there is now a 1/16-1/8 inch gap round the entire duct, (tube to tube) and I have no way to pull up the lower elbow to insert it into the straight section of duct that is directly above. My question, short of knocking holes in the wall, ceiling and or flooring to repair this properly, is there any type of sleeving that I can use on the inside (I currently have no access to the outside) or permanent calking that I can use on the inside of the duct to stop the leaking? Please advise.

nordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry, none that I know of. The ducting is required to be smooth-wall metal pipe, should be sealed at the joints with foil tape, no screws. Just cut an access hole in ceiling to fix, we can help you patch it!

Gary
P.S. welcome to the forums!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Gary,
Thanks for the advice. It is not what I wanter to hear but it is what I needed to hear.
nordfish is offline   Reply With Quote