Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Clogged washing machine

So it seems I have a clogged washing machine but can't figure out the problem. Basically, when the time comes for the washer to drain the water (and start spinning), little to no water exits. The result is a watery mess because water flies over the tub (since it is full when spinning commences). Oddly, the machine will actually spin and eventually drain out the water (but not before a lot of it ends up on our floor).

So anyway, with limited knowledge I decided to open it and take a look yesterday. The first thing i checked was the two hoses connected to the water pump and the water pump itself. I found nothing in either. I try to suck out whatever may be inside using a wet dry vac and nothing. I also fished fairly far inside the two hoses with a wire hanger and also came up empty. I tried the same thing in the hose that connects from the back of the washer to the water outlet. Nothing.

So I am a bit of a loss here. Is there somewhere else I should be checking? Would an actual snake, which is probably longer, work better? Would a Drano type solution work here? Could it be that the actual water pump has gone bad (since the water does come out after spinning0? Finally, I read somewhere about a ball that could be used to remove clogs.

Anyway, whatever direction anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by droopdog7; 09-07-2010 at 05:24 PM.
droopdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Clogged washing machine

What make & model? I would check the belt. Typically, there are two; one that drives the drum and one that drives the pump. Turn off the breaker or unplug the machine, then tip it back, and you should be able to reach the belt on the bottom side. Could also be that the pump is loose, and needs to be slid back into place. The front of most machines come off with a couple of screws along the bottom, and clips at the top, and if you remove that, you should be able to see the pump. Again, with the power disconnected, you should be able to spin the pump by hand, and see if the water moves. If so, again, try a belt.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

Clogged washing machine

If water is sitting in your drum, then there is only one problem: something is keeping the water from draining. The only catch here is there are a couple of possible problems to create this effect. The first and foremost thing to do is check the simple solution of making sure there isn't any small pieces of clothing like socks that might be stuck in the outlet of the drain. No socks? Then letís check the next possible cause of blockage which would be the drain lines. There are screens in them to make sure that debris doesn't go into the drain and cause a blockage at a much worse, and harder to fix, location. Unhook your drain lines and check these screens. If you find any, make sure to remove the debris carefully or else you could find that debris ends up clogging a pipe years down the road.

If you didnít find any debris in the drain lines then there are two last possible solutions before you should think about having a professional come to look at it, or with older washers the cost effective case would be to replace it. Now the first thing is to check the switch that is supposed to be suppressed when the door closes. Push on this switch, if it doesn't click, it needs replacing. The last possible scenario would be either: the spin solenoid not engaging or the drive coupling being worn out. Both these parts can be found at most home improvement stores, as can manuals on replacing them.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote