Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Clicking Sound: Changed Relay: Not cooling so well

Hello Gentlemen
I woke up and heard my whirlpool fridge making clicking sounds and the compressor was very hot to the touch. I did a bit of research on the forums and found out it could be the start relay. It was last minute and I needed it right away. I called our local appliance store and he didnt have the oem part but sold me some 3 in 1 kit for $75!! Later I find out that these are junk so I did order the OEM one.

After I installed the 3in1 the fridge works and I feel cold air coming into the freezer. The problem is, its not cooling enough. I left it all night and the freezer water didnt turn to ice. I checked the OHM levels on the compressor and they all seem fine. I also cleaned all the coils.

Does anyone have any ideas? I try not to post questions but I am completely stumped and im hoping the compressor isnt broken.

I would greatly appreciate it your help
Thank You

tmushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

I think I would check the fan that cools the compressor.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

3 in 1 relays are not junk, they are just not meant to stay in place of the OEM, with that said if the compressor is running and both fans are running you may have a refrigerant leak.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
3 in 1 relays are not junk, they are just not meant to stay in place of the OEM, with that said if the compressor is running and both fans are running you may have a refrigerant leak.

Aren't the 3in1's meant to be boosters for weak compressors?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

yes they are ,3 in 1 is a 1) start relay, 2) overload, 3) start capacitor Use them all the time, there is no way anyone could possibly stock every realy and overload combination for every compressor. The 3 in 1 will work on every one of them until you can get an OEM