Cleaning Stainless Steel Appliances? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Cleaning stainless steel appliances?

In the past, I've found that Pledge works really well, but over time it starts to buildup a yellowish haze. I've recently discovered that rubbing alcohol not only removes the waxy buildup, but it actually works really well for removing grime and fingerprints. Plus, it gives the appliances a shiny, streak free appearance, similar to when they were new. In fact, I've recently ditched the Pledge in favor of rubbing alcohol.

My question is, will prolonged use of rubbing alcohol damage a stainless steel finish.

Advertisement

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
In the past, I've found that Pledge works really well, but over time it starts to buildup a yellowish haze. I've recently discovered that rubbing alcohol not only removes the waxy buildup, but it actually works really well for removing grime and fingerprints. Plus, it gives the appliances a shiny, streak free appearance, similar to when they were new. In fact, I've recently ditched the Pledge in favor of rubbing alcohol.

My question is, will prolonged use of rubbing alcohol damage a stainless steel finish.
Alcohol is a potent reducer preventing/removing oxidation on/from the surface of the steel. In other words, it removes that fine sacrificial "rust" coat (chromium oxide) that protects the steel from further damage, hense stainless steel. Unless you rub clean stainless steel that is exposed to sea water, most likely you won't notice any damage in your lifetime.
At least now you know why it looks so clean!

Advertisement

nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

Good to know. Thanks!
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote