We've been considering french door models (with ice and water dispenser in the door) by Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE/GE Profile, Amana, and even Samsung and LG. I've heard some bum gouge about the in-door ice units of some models since the backside is the fridge instead of the freezer. I've also heard some bad news about high-cost and not-available repair parts.
What do you think
of any of these models based upon:
- frequency of repair (and/or...
- how complicated to repair (and/or...
- costs of common repair problems (and/or...
- long times to get needed repair parts?
We are members of Consumers Union (they publish "Consumers Reports") and so are also using their available survey data and test results. But, I'm thinking the people in the know will be those that repair refrigerators and those that have had to hire someone to do so.
I've had one person tell me to go ahead an get the service warranty since today's refrigerators are heavily electronic/computer-board and such warranties tend to help (lemon provision, actual service, etc.).
- IS that what others have found? Do they make a difference?
- Is any one retailer/warranty company better or worse than the others?
Thank you for all your advice/insight/gouge!