Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Choosing a Refrigerator based on Repair Value

We've been considering french door models (with ice and water dispenser in the door) by Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE/GE Profile, Amana, and even Samsung and LG. I've heard some bum gouge about the in-door ice units of some models since the backside is the fridge instead of the freezer. I've also heard some bad news about high-cost and not-available repair parts.

What do you think of any of these models based upon:
- frequency of repair (and/or...
- how complicated to repair (and/or...
- costs of common repair problems (and/or...
- long times to get needed repair parts?

We are members of Consumers Union (they publish "Consumers Reports") and so are also using their available survey data and test results. But, I'm thinking the people in the know will be those that repair refrigerators and those that have had to hire someone to do so.

Additionally, I've had one person tell me to go ahead an get the service warranty since today's refrigerators are heavily electronic/computer-board and such warranties tend to help (lemon provision, actual service, etc.).
- IS that what others have found? Do they make a difference?
- Is any one retailer/warranty company better or worse than the others?

Thank you for all your advice/insight/gouge!

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2

hmmmm, based on the bits and peices of all the posts in other threads, I thot I'd hear back from people.

Off-line I'd heard from one person saying:
-> LG's & Samsung's are solid, but repair parts distribution is still too slow to recommend them.
-> Whirlpool french door current/newest models don't seem to suffer from reported ice/water dispenser problems. (i.e., he's not had any repair calls on them)
-> NEVER buy from Sears either appliances NOR service contracts.
-> Buy service contracts from "NEW" [that's the name of the service contract company] sold by Lowes, Sam's Club/Walmart and Best Buy.
-> Maytag and GE (all versions) are too problem prone to recommend.
-> Plug any new fridge into a surge protector 1st OR install a whole-house filter.

No word on Amana.

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

We're in yr 2011 and the words about Samsung refrigerator is "stay away". As soon as U. S. manufacturers started getting their products made from outsourced companies in cheap labor countries who cares only to meet deadlines and costs, those used to be "reliable" brands are no longer reliable. Buying brand is no longer a wise thing to do. I would consider ratings on refrigerators reviewed heavily on internet and discount irrelevant comments. Usually, I supposed, the ones that sold more will have a larger customer base for parts to continue to be supplied and techs would be more knowledgeable in fixing them.
eFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

I have a Samsung french door model (actually I have 2 of them). The newer of the 2 of them (just over the 2 year full guarantee) quit cooling. Repairman came to house and said the sealed cooling system (which has a 5 year guarantee) was bad and he took it back to his shop. Called a week later and said the system had a leak somewhere in the box of the unit and was unrepairable. He said he would contact Samsung and find out what they would do for me. It has only been a few days and I have not heard back.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I have a Samsung french door model (actually I have 2 of them). The newer of the 2 of them (just over the 2 year full guarantee) quit cooling. Repairman came to house and said the sealed cooling system (which has a 5 year guarantee) was bad and he took it back to his shop. Called a week later and said the system had a leak somewhere in the box of the unit and was unrepairable. He said he would contact Samsung and find out what they would do for me. It has only been a few days and I have not heard back.
Sorry to hear that. That's why you should stay away from Samsung refrigerators. Our bottom mount Samsung hasn't worked 1 day! Don't know why it's still sitting in the kitchen?? You're lucky your repair guy is decent. A review says there's only one repair guy/shop (Samsung gave me just 1 repair guy's phone number and said there's no more around town) in my part of town and they're unreliable (guess that matches the product). I got another refrigerator guy to look at the fridge and he says the main circuit board is bad. I was about to get the cb to try. Either way, you're out the trip and diagnostic fees. Samsung parts are sold through one distributor and there's no return unless they say so plus there's a restocking fee. I probably should save that money for the parts and get a new fridge instead! Hope you have good news from Samsung. Good Luck.
eFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

Other than Whirl.,last i knew, all the other French doors are sourced..Samsung or LG..some to US manf specs but built by our Asian friends with some of their design thrown in..they have a different mind set-don't think how they killed us on cars-not even close..Maytag,Amana,Whirl all the same with tweaks..i would buy a F/D with I/M in Frz section-too complicated and takes up too much space on those where it's in the FF section..since Sears is a private label retailer, not a manf, i don't see why not to buy from them if you prefer..on the contract thing, i'd wait, you have a year and if problems,, can always get one.. all these contracts are sourced to outside TPA's and given to low bidder service co's-for the most part. so if you don't get the right guy you're in trouble..when you read the complaint blogs remember it may be a problem the manf resolved on new production-though you can't know..so what's ok today is a dud the next or vs.. as to repair; parts price's are going up and up, they're not DIY friendly unless you want to throw parts at it..sooo, what to do?? this biz has changed so much and so fast it's = throw a dart..

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote