Central Vac In 1928 House? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Central Vac in 1928 house?

I just bought a 1928 "colonial" and realized I've got enough work planned that it might make sense to add central vac to the house. I've never had it, but seems like a way better idea than lugging the upright up and down 3 flights of stairs every time we want to clean any of the floors (no available closets above the basement). Anyone got any tips, tricks or recommendations? Any feelings about hide-a-hose? (it sounds nice but i don't know how good the turbine head would be versus electric head).

The house is platform framed with 2x exterior walls and joists run clear across the house in the short direction. Plaster and lathe throughout and presently no chases for plubming / electrical, which seems insane since the walls are uninsulated and plumbing / drains are all in exterior walls. I'd want to run up from basement to 3 other floors (first, second & finished attic).

Advertisement

eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclark View Post
...presently no chases for plubming / electrical, which seems insane since the walls are uninsulated and plumbing / drains are all in exterior walls. I'd want to run up from basement to 3 other floors (first, second & finished attic).
Focus on the (interior) chase idea...

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Every house I've worked on that had it the owners hated it or it no longer worked. Due to it was plugged up, switches in covers were broken, motor burned out.
Your going to be spending a ton of money on this house before it over, I'd spend the money on something else.
You could easly buy three vacuum clears so you would have one on each floor for what you would spend on a new system.
I'm sure your also going to be building some closits soon and you see how badly there needed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

I bought one 24 years ago because it only vacuums the dust/air in, not blow the semi-clean exhaust into the room. I mounted the motor unit under the stairs with the ducting all within 8' (stair are located in center of house). One outlet in Lv./Dine. room, one in hall next to stairs- for bd.rm, Landry rm., one upstairs, for 3 bd.rms. in 1/2 wall directly above and last one is a floor-sweep in kitchen. No dust-pan needed, no exhaust, no noise. The vacuum-powered only turbo for rugs is fine for comm. short nap I have, doubt it would work for shag carpets without the electric beater motor. Duct it to a garage (motor location) or get a muffler for it. In a short time, you'll get used to the quietness. The 18 g. two wire has to go with the 2-1/4" tubing to each outlet from the motor, more wires (120) if electric head. Con: extra 30' light-weight hose for other floors. Pro: I'm glad the Lego years are over for my boys..... still works great, plugged once from a boys sock.... imagine that!

Gary
Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 624

I installed one recently in a two story I bought. I had a water heater vent chase which I used to run the 2" pipe in.

I put them in houses I build early on in the construction phase and use an "interceptor" cannister to vacuum up construction debris.

Vent the exhaust to the exterior if possible.

Should be no problem to have 110 available at each inlet. You can run it alongside the 2" pipe and switch wire if you must.

All you need is some sort of chase. If you are going to install some closets, this is your opportunity. Otherwise, a chimney, furnace/water heater vent?

You can go right up an interior wall if you want, but you'll have to drill through the plates.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 77

Thanks Guys. Joe, I know there are other things to spend $$$ on first but since my lot is small, I'll never be able to build a large enough addition that I'll have a spare closet on every floor. The bedroom and linen closets we already have are actually big for the period the house was built and I'd hate to give up floor space to create more.

I'm thinking to build out a small chase somewhere because then I can also run conduit for future use as well as run my coax in a way that makes more sense than it does now. I liked the house a lot when we bought it because the layout was very efficient and made a lot of sense. Open floor plan, stairs are all stacked and very few existing interior walls (none of them stacked, of course).

Our garage is detached so I'd probably put the unit in the basement utility room. There's an existing exhaust fan vent I think I can re-use as a vacuum exhaust since i took that fan out and don't need it anymore (was part of a basement dark room that is no longer needed or wanted).
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

I think this or last month's Fine Homebuilding has a feature article on retrofitting a vac system.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Apparently Joecaption lives in an area that is poorly serviced by a good installer/service center.
Rule of thumb in an older home is one inlet per 700 square feet. Open concept would be one inlet per 1000ft.
Install your inlets centrally in open hallways not behind doors or in bedrooms. If you are running pipe within a plaster/lath wall the installation rules are the same however you will buy and shorten to length (1.5" approx)plaster extension collars for each inlet valve to accomodate the added thickness of the lath. I would avoid exterior walls entirely. Odds are you will be running additional items in interior walls. Have fun, very worthwhile project. Feel free to PM me for indepth discussion .
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Every house I've worked on that had it the owners hated it or it no longer worked. Due to it was plugged up, switches in covers were broken, motor burned out.
Your going to be spending a ton of money on this house before it over, I'd spend the money on something else.
You could easly buy three vacuum clears so you would have one on each floor for what you would spend on a new system.
I'm sure your also going to be building some closits soon and you see how badly there needed.
I've never understood what the advantages were to them. You actually have to carry around an even more unwieldy vacuum.
Weird_T_Figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 624

Some advantages include:

better cleaning power
less allergens
more quiet
life of unit is longer
ease of operation-more than just the floor
use in the garage
can use as wet/dry

And I'll add that you can use them during the construction phase as well...

The cost of a central vac has been helped out recently as more expensive portable vacuum systems are introduced. If a guy can get into a central vac system for $1000 and some funky dyson, etc. is selling for $800, the cost factor is no longer such a big deal.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote