Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

I'm trying to put my ceiling fan in reverse and I guess I'm an idiot and can't tell if its in reverse mode or not. I read that for reverse blades should rotate clockwise, the switch should be UP, and I should not feel a breeze. I have the switch up, I don't feel a breeze but the blades are rotating counter clockwise? If I put the switch down I do feel a breeze but then the blades are rotating clockwise. I am so totatlly confused. Please help.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
the Musigician

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

likely they call it clockwise from the shaft, not necessarily how you view it from the floor. ours works best winter and summer blowing down....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

Use a piece of kleenex to see if it pulls up or pushes away?
295yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295yards View Post
Use a piece of kleenex to see if it pulls up or pushes away?
Great suggestion. Pulling up would mean its in reverse right? Does running a fan in reverse actually do anything and help reduce costs?
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

Yeah, thats reverse if it pulls up. Not sure it actually does do anything but it is supposed to and FWIW I run my fans in reverse.
295yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

I only run fans in the summer and pushing air down , as I can feel as cool with less ( or no ) air conditioning.

In the winter or heating season I've always understood to run in reverse so the hotter air would wash across the ceiling and down the walls to you.

I know with my forced air furnace and 10' great room ceiling I have a digitally measured 1 degree difference from the floor to the ceiling.

I see no benefit running a fan when there's 1 degree of difference , as a matter of fact it feels uncomfortable to run it , so I don't.

Now when I had a house with a wood burning stove the hot air would stratify at the ceiling and there was a big difference in comfort to use it.

Last edited by High Gear; 01-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

"benchmarkman" : It sounds as if you are trying to comply with what someone has told you and not considering the fact that hardly any of the Chinese fan manufacturers make "consistent" fan switches. At this point, I would not worry as to whether or not a fan is running in "reverse" or "forward". I would consider if the fan is running in the direction that I wanted it to. You may have a ceiling fan that runs CCW, when viewed from below,with the switch UP. I may have ceiling fan that runs CW, when viewed from below, with the switch UP. Does it really matter what position the switch is in IF the blades are moving air in the direction you want? Try running the fan with the blades moving in one direction for a day or so, then reverse the blades, same speed, and see which way you feel comfortable. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

We use the fans all the time in the summer
I've yet to turn one on in the winter
Might try it when I have a good fire going

Basically if I am standing under the fan & feel air blowing on me then that is switched for the summer
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

CW/CCW will be determined by which way the blades are slanted. Just stop for a second and take a look at the fan.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
the Musigician

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

yup, and it's blowing the hot air from the woodstove down just fine right now too!
(on mine, down is CCW when looking up at it)

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #11

Ceiling Fan in Reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
CW/CCW will be determined by which way the blades are slanted. Just stop for a second and take a look at the fan.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote