Ceiling Fan Buzz/hum? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

I have some Huntington Beach ceiling fans that have started buzzing and humming. How can I fix this?

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

Teach them the words

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

Oh, that's a great idea!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

ROFLMAO......U TUBE VERY LOL CUTE 2
So are you saying you did not save the lifetime warranty info or register your fans? How about the receipt from 8 years ago?

If you don't enjoy the it might be time to just buy some new fans.

Send in the card and tape the warranty to the bottom of a kitchen drawer or the back of a cabinet.. When this happens again you will at least have a chance at finding your paperwork. ( now where did I put it...I saw it somewhere...)

Planned obsolescence...and good marketing...gotcha!
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

Check to see if the fan blades are tight. I had a noise that simply was a vibration of the blades not being secure.

Best of luck.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #6

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

As Winchester suggested, check for loose fan blades, loose light globes and loose mounting to the ceiling. If all of the noisy ones are on one or two ciruits only, check for proper voltage to the fans. Are these fans on a dimmer and is the correct type / size installed? Fan motors will fail prematurely with low voltage.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Fixer-'til-broker

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

...maybe it was Hamilton Bay?

Everything's tight - I tightened everything when I first moved in. These fans came with the house. 3 of them are remote-controlled with 3-speed/reverse and dimming lights. The rest are just manually operated on dedicated switches throughout the house. On the hummers the humming will start when the fan is switched into motion. I think the lights are what are buzzing.

Lifetime Warranty...lifetime's up...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYtestdummy View Post
...maybe it was Hamilton Bay?

Everything's tight - I tightened everything when I first moved in. These fans came with the house. 3 of them are remote-controlled with 3-speed/reverse and dimming lights. The rest are just manually operated on dedicated switches throughout the house. On the hummers the humming will start when the fan is switched into motion. I think the lights are what are buzzing.

Lifetime Warranty...lifetime's up...
Are they CFL bulbs? Our Hamilton Bay that we have in our family does not like CFL bulbs and they flicker and hummmm. (To no specific tune...lol)

I guess to troubleshoot then, you need to turn on the fan and lights separately.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Fixer-'til-broker

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

No, no CFL's. They don't work without a constant source. I don't even think they are saving any electricity in the most-used lights, since my bill is the same. They had those obnoxiously bright clear hot bulbs in them originally; I replaced them with low-watt soft whites and still had to take a couple out. The buzz is actually high pitched.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
As Winchester suggested, check for loose fan blades, loose light globes and loose mounting to the ceiling. If all of the noisy ones are on one or two ciruits only, check for proper voltage to the fans. Are these fans on a dimmer and is the correct type / size installed? Fan motors will fail prematurely with low voltage.
+1

Also note that sometimes the chain drapes over the globe and will give a vibrating/humming sound off. Apply some tape to the chain where it meats the globe.

Your electrical has a lot to do with motor noise also.
JohnJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #11

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

You could try and remove all of the globes and bulbs to see if the noise goes away. If it is a globe, usually lightly touching the globe will stop the resonance.

The last few Hunter fans I installed, had rubber feet which were installed between the mounting plate and the ceiling. Maybe yours are missing.

I'd take down one fan and inspect everything for proper installation and tightness, check the fan boxes too. Short of a loose part, I think the only way to get rid of the noise is replacement.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan buzz/hum?

In 90% it are the ceiling fan blades that make noise. Make sure that all of the screws in the blades are tight and secure.

How to fix a noisy ceiling fan

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-09-2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Site Link removed from Signature
Ceiling Fan Expert is offline   Reply With Quote