Ceiling Fan - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

ceiling fan

our one year old Harbor Breeze ceiling fan stopped working couple of months ago. The light still works, but not the fan.
I am going to replace the capacitor, but before I do that I want to make sure that is what it is.
The fan has a low sounding hum when I turn on the fan, but does not rotate, so I know it is not the fan switch.
Also, when manually turned, it does not turn too freely, almost like a bad wheel bearing on a car.
Could it be the motor itself??? From the beginning, it never really turned as well as it should. We bought two identical fans, and the other works fine.
Is it possible to replace the motor, if that is what it is??
Thanks
Barry

Advertisement

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 586

ceiling fan

Before you go to far, it may have a warranty. Some had "lifetime" warranties.

It might be worth checking it out.

Advertisement

AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
DIY Homeowner

ceiling fan

Who do I contact, I looked on Harbor Breeze's site, no e-mail. Or do I go thru Lowes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,344

ceiling fan

Harbour breeze fans are one of the best fans on the market today, imo. Sure, as with anything else, there're going to have a bad one here and there. They usually have limited lifetime waranty on motor and 2 year waranty on all other parts. Go online or give them a call and explain your situation to them. You may save some money. Just a thought.

Last edited by jmon; 06-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

ceiling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
Who do I contact, I looked on Harbor Breeze's site, no e-mail. Or do I go thru Lowes
You could try to go through lowes first, they can look up your transaction. You may get lucky and they'll give you another one. Being how it's 1 year old, you'll probably have to go through the manufacturer. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Googling revealed that Litex industries makes Harbor Breeze: 1-800-527-1292. Open m-f.

Last edited by jmon; 06-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
DIY Homeowner

ceiling fan

How is Lowes able to look up the transaction??, i did not use the "my lowes" feature, and paid cash
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

ceiling fan

If you have no receipt, explained to them you used cash for the transaction and can't remember exactly what the date was. If no help from Lowes, then your only option will be to go through the manufacturer. As mentioned in post 5, call litex industries, they make harbour breeze.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Others will be along with more advice/suggestions. Hope you can get it working again soon. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 29

ceiling fan

I used to work at Lowes...won't be able to look up a cash transaction from a year ago. Without a receipt, I would go talk to the Electrical Dept. and explain situation. They can look up their contact number for Harbor Breeze. These numbers are different from what websites post. Take your serial number with you, the purchase will be tracked through that and you just might get instant results with a new fan. Just my two cents...if the fan is a year old, forget trying to replace parts. Get a new fan altogether.

[EDIT] - New fan would be direct from Harbor Breeze. Might be off chance that Lowes would give you a new one. Also, as far as serial number goes, meant to say that Harbor Breeze would be able to see that transaction. Not Lowes.

Last edited by RunningSparky; 06-09-2014 at 10:54 AM.
RunningSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RunningSparky For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

ceiling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningSparky View Post
I used to work at Lowes...won't be able to look up a cash transaction from a year ago. Without a receipt, I would go talk to the Electrical Dept. and explain situation. They can look up their contact number for Harbor Breeze. These numbers are different from what websites post. Take your serial number with you, the purchase will be tracked through that and you just might get instant results with a new fan. Just my two cents...if the fan is a year old, forget trying to replace parts. Get a new fan altogether.

[EDIT] - New fan would be direct from Harbor Breeze. Might be off chance that Lowes would give you a new one. Also, as far as serial number goes, meant to say that Harbor Breeze would be able to see that transaction. Not Lowes.
Good information to know. Thanks for posting that information it may help others as well.

Advertisement