Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Share |

Can a window a/c be installed on its side?

A friend of mine lives in a basement with windows that slide left to right. Problem is, they don't open wide enough to fit a window a/c unit in, even a small one. Is it safe to tip one on it's side, or could that cause the water to drain incorrectly. i planned to just use some plywood to build some sort of frame for her to cover the excess part of the window.

I know they make the portable ac units too - but how do those even vent through a side-to-side window? Also, those units are much more expensive than the window ones.

Thanks.

PS - i realize this is probably a ridiculous question...just trying to save her some money

Last edited by secutanudu; 07-08-2010 at 07:55 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #2

no you can't and have it run..first the compressor oil is dedicated to the base of the compressor and the condensation drain off works on the idea it will be installed on the horizontal and drains from the bottom base area.if you google "Casement window ac units" thats for that type window.if you can remove the glass sections of the actual window and cut a sheet of 3/4 plywood to replace the glass then cut the window unit in at the highest point and lock it in with some 2x4 across the bottom and top will hold it....Caution: make sure the condenser inlet fins on the sides are on the outside of that wood wall

Last edited by biggles; 07-08-2010 at 08:20 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
secutanudu (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Thanks, Biggles.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #4

I have one of those portable on wheels air conditioning units in my bedroom because the windows open sideways. I can tell you, these types of air conditioners are not very efficient, they take room air to reject the heat (as opposed to a window unit that uses outside air to reject the heat)and blows room conditioned air across the heat reject coil and outside through a 4 inch diameter tube that you have to install and seal in the window frame. Since my window is not a standard size, I had to custom make a plexiglass window panel with a hole that would fit the tube. I installed the plexiglass window where the screen would normally go, snap in the tube and it works, but it was a big headache. Also, since these units create negative pressure in the bedroom, the machine draws hot humid air in through other places in the house such as other windows or under the door and runs 24/7 since its not re-circulating the already air conditioned air like a window unit does. It also has a small quart sized container to collect the condensate water, and on a hot humid day, the container can fill up in like 4 hours shutting off the machine when the water level gets to the top of the container. Waking up in the middle of the night to empty the container in a major PITA, so I had to makeshift a stand for the unit to sit on with a 5 gallon bucket under the unit so it can run through the night without shutting off. Now this whole contraption takes up like 6 square feet of floor space so its in the way all the time. I would do whatever you can to use a regular window unit installed in its normal horizontal position.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Engineer For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

We bought an A/C designed for those kinds of windows at Sears. Our cabin has sliding windows, and a regular A/C just wouldn't fit. This is very narrow, and has the filler strip at the top. It works very well, and seals the window opening completely.

Unfortunately, it was very expensive for the BTUs. I think we paid around $350-400 for a 12,000 BTU unit. And that was 6 years ago.

Here's one of the current models from Sears web site:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...o=4&blockType=
$400 for 6000 BTUs.

I wish we had done a 'thru the wall' or mini-split system. We only have two windows in the cabin, and the A/C blocks one of them when it's in.
houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
I have one of those portable on wheels air conditioning units in my bedroom because the windows open sideways. I can tell you, these types of air conditioners are not very efficient, they take room air to reject the heat (as opposed to a window unit that uses outside air to reject the heat)and blows room conditioned air across the heat reject coil and outside through a 4 inch diameter tube that you have to install and seal in the window frame. Since my window is not a standard size, I had to custom make a plexiglass window panel with a hole that would fit the tube. I installed the plexiglass window where the screen would normally go, snap in the tube and it works, but it was a big headache. Also, since these units create negative pressure in the bedroom, the machine draws hot humid air in through other places in the house such as other windows or under the door and runs 24/7 since its not re-circulating the already air conditioned air like a window unit does. It also has a small quart sized container to collect the condensate water, and on a hot humid day, the container can fill up in like 4 hours shutting off the machine when the water level gets to the top of the container. Waking up in the middle of the night to empty the container in a major PITA, so I had to makeshift a stand for the unit to sit on with a 5 gallon bucket under the unit so it can run through the night without shutting off. Now this whole contraption takes up like 6 square feet of floor space so its in the way all the time. I would do whatever you can to use a regular window unit installed in its normal horizontal position.

I bought a portable one and I can echo this. It works, it does cool the room, but very inefficiently. Mine actually evaporates the water so there is no drain pan but I am not sure how. I would like to think it evaporates out the big tube, but I have a feeling it just evaporates it indoors. The room is cool, but it just does not feel like the same type of cool you get with a window unit. It seems muggy. The instant I turn it off, I almost need to turn it back on.

As for installing a window unit sideways, they do make window units that are designed for that. They are called vertical units. The are higher but less wide.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote