Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Share |

Can someone help me remove this faucet aerator?

I got a Pur filter for my faucet, and I'm trying to install it. It said to remove the aerator, but it's just not coming off, even with the tools I've tried. Here's a pic: [1] http://i.imgur.com/CAswg.jpg
Can someone please help me?
MutatedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Experienced

Hello and welcome MutatedGamer to the best DIY'r site on the web.

All I can say is Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy.

Mark
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Hello and welcome MutatedGamer to the best DIY'r site on the web.

All I can say is Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy.

Mark
Thanks for the welcome .

And yeah, I've tried hard with my hands and tools as I said, but it just won't budge. Is there a posibility it was glued or something? I honestly have no idea why it won't come off. Also, I don't know where the aerator ends. Is the rigid part near the top part of it?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

The part with ridges is the part that you need to be turning. It is a male end, and the faucet is a female end. Depending on who installed it, you most likely will need a pair of pliers to help put some torque on the aerator that is on there. Again, lefty loosy, righty tighty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The part with ridges is the part that you need to be turning. It is a male end, and the faucet is a female end. Depending on who installed it, you most likely will need a pair of pliers to help put some torque on the aerator that is on there. Again, lefty loosy, righty tighty.
I tried turning that with pliers and a monkey wrench but it wouldn't budge. Just kept slipping.

EDIT: Turning, not hurting...

Last edited by MutatedGamer; 05-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Get a pair of vise grips. Also one of these can help http://www.ehow.com/info_8347932_pen...ted-parts.html You can try heating it up with a hot air gun. Most likely it is corroded up there and the working with the vise grips and some rust penetrating spray may work.

If not, I forsee a new faucet assembly in your short future, or a inline water purifier cartridge. If you have a plug on the sink for a spray nozzle, they do make cold water dispensers that fit into that spot, that would use a water purifier cartridge system.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Get a pair of vise grips. Also one of these can help http://www.ehow.com/info_8347932_pen...ted-parts.html You can try heating it up with a hot air gun. Most likely it is corroded up there and the working with the vise grips and some rust penetrating spray may work.

If not, I forsee a new faucet assembly in your short future, or a inline water purifier cartridge. If you have a plug on the sink for a spray nozzle, they do make cold water dispensers that fit into that spot, that would use a water purifier cartridge system.
Okay. I have WD-40 lying around and that's it, would that help me? Just spraying a little on should make it easier to move, right?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Just blast the hell out of it, but make sure that you put a old bath towel over the sink with a plastic bag under it, so the spray does not get on the sink. Also hold onto the faucet while tapping the aerator with either the vice grips or a hammer, to also help loosen it.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Okay, I'll go in my garage to get my WD-40 in a bit and try it. I also think I have a pair of vise grips outside too, I'll search for those.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Experienced

WD 40 isn't the answer, a tight grip on a set of channel locks is what you need.

That looks like a QD for a portable dishwasher someone put on, and probably over tightened it.

It will take some brute force to get it off now.

Mark
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
WD 40 isn't the answer, a tight grip on a set of channel locks is what you need.

That looks like a QD for a portable dishwasher someone put on, and probably over tightened it.

It will take some brute force to get it off now.

Mark
You're right, I think. When my mother first had it installed she wanted to use the dishwasher, and had her friend come and try to hook it up. They never got it working because nobody sold the adapter to use it, so they gave up. I have no idea if he put something on, though. I'm pretty sure that's how it was when we first got it, though.

So exactly how hard am I going to have to do this? I don't want to break something and end up having to shut the water off...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

Looks to me like it is cross threaded, look how crooked that knerled piece is sitting.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Experienced

If you hold on to the arm of the spout you won't break anything that will require turning the water off. You may have to replace the entire faucet once it comes apart, or not have an aerator on it, but that won't be any good for your water purifier.
Mark
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
If you hold on to the arm of the spout you won't break anything that will require turning the water off. You may have to replace the entire faucet once it comes apart, or not have an aerator on it, but that won't be any good for your water purifier.
Mark
What do you mean once it comes apart? We can't exactly buy a new faucet right now.

And for the purifier you're supposed to take the aerator off and it has an adapter to screw in.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

If it is cross threaded, the new piece will never screw in. You can get a Peerless for less than $40. http://www.lowes.com/pl__0__s?Ntt=ki...roduct_price|0 if it really comes down to it.