Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
The Moose is loose.

Rewards Points: 75

Can I put a rug under my electric stove?

I know this may be a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. I'm a first time home buyer so I am new to a lot of common household situations.

The problems is this: the kitchen in my house has linoleum flooring that is about 90% ok (real ugly though) but there are some bad parts around the stove that are eye sores. I was wondering if I could just put the stove on a rug and cover it completely up until we can save to have the flooring re-done.

If I can't use a rug, are there any other solutions for this problem? Thanks in advance!

MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

rug under stove will be fine

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i'm new here so i assume everybody here knows more about stuff than i do. but here's my two cents...
1. seems to me rug is more of a fire hazard
2. rug absorbs grease and food spills, breeds ROACHES
3. a sheet of 1/4-in pvc would look nice, clean up well. i bought some 4x8 sheets in '97 for abt $45 ea, slip-resistant textured one side, smooth the other- don't know what they cost now.

Last edited by oldkentucky; 03-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.
oldkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Be sure to let you home owners insurance people know you do this, they will be glad to raise your rates for the fire hazard. Sorry to be facetious, but you get the point. I would not put a "rug" made from cloth, nor carpet under a range.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Be sure to let you home owners insurance people know you do this, they will be glad to raise your rates for the fire hazard.
how in the world is a rug or carpet underneath a stove a fire hazard??
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
how in the world is a rug or carpet underneath a stove a fire hazard??
well, hardwareman, it may be a stretch (in the practical sense- and i don't know abt the insurance sense) but broilers can overheat and maybe ignite carpet? maybe worse if there's grease? or a spill of burning grease? wouldn't be my fav choice for flooring under stove.
but i get your point of low risk.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

In that sense, the range itself is a fire hazard, not the carpet underneath. So, yes, it's a stretch.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
In that sense, the range itself is a fire hazard, not the carpet underneath. So, yes, it's a stretch.
Actually all of the above. Rugs at most are made of either Synthetic or "God" made materials. That means, that if they are synthetic, they are recycled from pop bottles, etc. Oil burns and smokes.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Let me ask a question to answer the question being asked........is it ok to have wood under a stove.......darn wood is flamable.......as much or more so than carpet.......I guess if the insurance companies had their way all stoves would be placed on concrete......that being said, oh maybe I should call the insurance company.......HUH?????.......what does the insurance company have to do with this?.........I have seen many kitchens with carpet on the floor.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 04-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Just get those 60 cents tiles that are always on sale from HD to put underneath the stove for now ... they're solid, flat, fire proof.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

this thread gets funnier by the minute.
now, i don't wanna start anything, but...
i can take a butane lighter and in 10 seconds set fire to a piece of grease-soaked rug holding it up in my hand, but it would take a long time to set fire to the flat surface of a piece of wood floor in my hand.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerup26 View Post
Wood goes up quick dude. People put carpets in their kitchens all the time. My g-mom get this, shes had carpet in her whole house for 70years. Since the house was built shes had little kitchen fires, guess what caught on fire and what didnt???................ The wood cabinets not the carpet. And the one fire was caused by a faulty dishwasher which sits on the floor. Hahaha ironic dont ya think??
now that IS interesting, Powerup. just wondering- so do you have tile or wood or carpet under your stove? i think i've only ever lived in one house where it was carpet.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #13

thanks, i was just wondering. the smallest things can turn out to be so important.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #14

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. We have a carpeted (newly) utility room with a washer and dryer, used to be half our garage. Now we want to do a full garage conversion and make it into an in-law suite. We already put a shower stall in as the bathroom was too small for it. We now want to add a frig and stove. And I don't want to rip out the brand new carpet. What should we do? Is there anything we can use over the carpet?
judyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyshouse View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that question myself. We have a carpeted (newly) utility room with a washer and dryer, used to be half our garage. Now we want to do a full garage conversion and make it into an in-law suite. We already put a shower stall in as the bathroom was too small for it. We now want to add a frig and stove. And I don't want to rip out the brand new carpet. What should we do? Is there anything we can use over the carpet?
I answered the original posters question, the answer for your question is the same. Yes you can put a rug or carpet underneath a stove with no worrys.