Can 2 Electric Dryers Plug Into The Same Circuit Or Require Individual 30 Amp Breakers? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can 2 Electric Dryers plug into the same circuit or require individual 30 amp breakers?

I have a dryer in my basement (the breaker box is located in basement as well), but my wife wants me to install a washer/dryer in the upstairs of my house - as its tough climbing up/down 3 flights of stairs just to do laundry. In looking at it, I have a place to install everything but just had the question about the 220v dryer hookup. I have a large chute that houses the AC ducts that goes from the AC unit (in the basement next to my dryer) to the upstairs of the house, so I can easily drop a power supply to connect everything. I just wanted to know if it is OK and safe to tie into the existing Dryer power supply or is it recommended to run the line to the actual breaker box and hook it up that way.

The basement dryer will remain in the basement (may get a renter later down the road) - so two dryers in my house total. Will 2 dryers trip the breaker if they are on the same one? Is it safe - I do not want to put to much strain on one line and burn my house down.

Please let me know if it is possible to have 2 dryers on the same line or if its recommended to have each one on the breaker box. Thanks

p.s. also I am located in Ashburn, VA

Advertisement

Last edited by cooter1341; 06-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.
cooter1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Can 2 Electric Dryers plug into the same circuit or require individual 30 amp breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1341 View Post
but my wife has w05
What does this mean ?

Where are you located ?

Are you unplugging one to plug the other in ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
I have a dryer in my basement (and the breaker box as well), but my wife has w05
Please check again, it for some reason cut off the rest of my original post. I have put my question back into the main topic area. Thank you for your input and help.

Last edited by cooter1341; 06-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.
cooter1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

The 2 dryers will need seperate feeds, 2 will trip the breaker

You can't drop the feed down inside of the HVAC duct
Outside of the duct is OK
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Will 2 dryers trip the breaker if they are on the same one?
Maybe someone makes a relay with 30A contacts and a 24 vac coil for this purpose so that it is not possible to run both dryers at the same time.
A 3-way switch at each of two locations running at 24 vac would select which dryer is powered.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-22-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

If you want to rent the basement at some point, separate the dryers and the rest of the electric if you can as you remodel. You don't want the basement apartment tripping breakers upstairs when they run their three hair dryers, toaster oven, curling iron at the same time. It will be much better for you and the renters if everything is separate as much as reasonably possible even if you don't plan on adding a second meter.

Advertisement

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote