Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A cabinet problem, OTR Microwave.

Greetings,

We'd like to install an OTR Microwave, however, our current cabinets are a bit too tall to be able to accomplish an aesthetically pleasing result. The bottom of the cabinets over the range are right at 66 inches, which is the minimum distance required. It'd leave a paltry 13.5 inches between the bottom of the OTR microwave, and that's just not acceptable.

The cabinets are a dark veneer over plywood., and I haven't seen anything remotely similar at Lowes or HD. My original thought was to just buy a shorter unit to replace the one that isn't doing what I need it to. Since I haven't found anything like that yet, I was thinking of cutting the exiting cabinet to the size I want, but then I'm concerned about it holding the weight of the microwave. Is there a way I can remove 6 inches of height from the cabinet and have it still bear the weight of an OTR microwave?

Here's a couple pictures of the work space:
Attached Thumbnails
A cabinet problem, OTR Microwave.-cabinet1.jpg   A cabinet problem, OTR Microwave.-cabinet2.jpg  

r3dwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

On your own about how to cut cabinet, but typical microwave will have a wall plate that uses lag screws to bolt plate to wall.
You set the back of the microwave on the plate and swing it up, will be 2, 1/4" bolts in top of cabinet to hold it in place.

So yes, you can modify the cabinet, just be sure to make the bottom strong to hold the weight of the new microwave.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

I'm not a fan of OTR microwaves. Simply put, its functionality, the microwave recommended height is too close to the stove for cooking. If you were to mount a ventilated OTR microwave and allow proper cooking clearance, it would be too high to use for the average height person.
Even Further is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

I'm only 5'8" and my girl friend is only 5'. We own three propertys and all have an over stove microwave and the height has never been an issue.
They go sell low profile units. (stay away from the GE model it's junk)
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,944

If you have a table saw--a full sized one---cutting that cabinet down is a fairly simple job---

If you have any experience with the saw-----
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Stay away from Samsung too. I had a OTR model that quite a few weeks after the 1 year warranty, Samsung did agree to goodwill repair. Another year later its dead again. I searched the web and found tons of Samsung microwave issues.
Even Further is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,560

i recommend putting the microwave in and trying it. you may be happy enough with it. and avoid a lot of work.

this is mine. 14.5" & no issues what so ever. except for my short disabled wife, sometimes.

Last edited by Fix'n it; 06-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote