Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Share |

Buy the dishwasher before we re-do the kitchen?

My wife and I plan to tear the kitchen out in the spring.

We've replaced the stove and we're eyeballing refrigerators right now. Trying to "lessen the blow" so to speak so we don't have to buy appliances at the same time as everything else.

We just saw a ridiculous deal this weekend on a dishwasher that would fit right in to the new kitchen. This is an item we were going to wait with until the kitchen was being put together just because it's a little more "involved" than replacing a fridge or a slide-in range.

What do you all think? Do it - pull the trigger or wait till d-day?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

So far as I can tell, dishwashers are approximately the same physical size, unless you get into commercial washers. My only suggestion is to bring your dishes down to see if they fit in the dishwasher. We bought a high end Bosch, very quiet, looks pretty, the dishes don't fit worth a damn. I think the European models have different design trays than the U.S. models, I can't figure it, we had an old Maytag, looked like junk but the dishes fit fine. It never occurred to me that there could be so much variation in the trays. Live and learn.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

My only concern would be that you might be out of warranty the day you innstall it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

i found the same thing with Bosch. A sale person told me that all Bosch are made like that...for thinner stuff, china or such i guess.

as far as buying now? i would wait. you never know what might change between now and then. any savings might be lost by a change in plans...
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

I was actually thinking about installing it - just without any trim etc. that might be required. A "rough install" i guess you could call it.

Anyway, it looks like the Black Friday deals will be just as good or better on refrigerators so maybe we'll just focus our energy there.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

I was going for dead cheap on my kitchen stuff because we bought a house cheap and need to leverage what money and credit we have to get things done quick so we can move in, which we just did this past weekend, but what we did was get a floor model of a low-end Frigidaire dishwasher at Lowes that we bought for $150. It's Energy-Star so we qualified to get a $25 gift card rebate through the state administered rebate program. Also, we bought a decent refrigerator that qualified for a $100 rebate card in addition and we are getting a $40 rebate from the electric company for using their program to recycle the old refrigerator.

I was also considering a tankless water heater, but by the time we had bought the house the gas company's rebate program had been used up - the other rebate programs I mentioned above also are all used up. But apparently, there are new programs next year.

Anyway, the point being that this is the kind of rebates you might have available if you wait until next year, but if you have a better deal by buying now then buying now might be better if cost or getting the best deal is what you're asking about.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

It was basically a $550 dishwasher for $370...... our dishwasher is pretty old and will be the first thing I tear out when we demo the kitchen, I just saw an opportunity to replace it but it may be a better idea to just focus on the fridge for now.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Jack of all - master none

There are always appliance sales. I would wait and try to buy them together so that they all match. Appliance manufacturers have a habit of changing the look of their appliance lines fairly quickly.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Coconut Pete's paella!

We ended up going "on the prowl" on Black Friday and bought a nice stainless side-by-side fridge instead. Much easier to move in and out when it comes time to gut.