Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Built in speakers

In my newly bought house there are speakers in the upstairs "game room", but I do not know how to hook into these speakers or even where there is an opportunity to. They are built directly into the wall seamlessly.

kenkelt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Built in speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkelt21 View Post
In my newly bought house there are speakers in the upstairs "game room", but I do not know how to hook into these speakers or even where there is an opportunity to. They are built directly into the wall seamlessly.
The wires have to go somewhere... right?
My guess is either UP (into the attic) or DOWN (into the basement).
Where do all the other wires in the house end?

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Built in speakers

Also look in the closits, often times people will set up there sound system in there so it can not be seen.
Look at all the outlet covers through out the house and see if one or more Are differant, could have what's called banana plugs, or even differant colored plastic nuts where you would install a spade connector under it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
TWX

Built in speakers

If the installer did it right then there should be a pair of double jacks somewhere close. It's possible that they're located wherever the main entertainment center is, and the previous user would use an A/B switch to pick which room got sound. Unfortunately there are probably a half a dozen types of connectors. At least most will be red for one wire and black for the other.

I suggest pulling one of the speakers out to see what resistance rating it has, which is measured in Ohms or Ω. Common Ohms ratings are 4Ω and 8Ω. Some stereos will do both automatically, some will do both with a selector switch, and some will only do one or the other, with 8Ω being more common in residential applications. You'll want to set up your stereo appropriately or else if they can't be made to match, replace the drivers in the speakers or else the stereo.
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #5

Built in speakers

Take pictures of the speakers and the main lines then report back. I'll be able to throw down some information then
Anesthesiologis is offline   Reply With Quote