Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad Smell in Dryer

We went on vacation for about five days and when we returned, we noticed an awful smell around our clothes dryer. We thought a wet wash cloth or towel could be the culprit but we've washed everything, cleaned the dryer thoroughly, and pulled out the dryer and the washer to make sure there was no dead rodent in the area but we found nothing and no amount of cleaning or air freshener seems to get rid of the odor. It's worse just after the dryer has been running or after opening the dryer door after it has been closed up for a while. It does smell like a dead animal but we've looked everywhere - even in the hose and can't find anything. Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? The smell initially seemed to be contained to the dryer but it seems to be now spreading througout the entire laundry area.

lking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Bad Smell in Dryer

If you haven't yet, I'd check the vent duct. I've had chipmunks get trapped in there before... but (fortunately) I found them while they were still alive.

diy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Bad Smell in Dryer

Check and make sure nothing got into where the element is. If a mouse or other animal got in the dryer and was touching the element when the dryer was turned on, it would get electrocuted. Every time the dryer is turned on afterward would further char the remains. It makes a pretty foul smell from what I've been told.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
General Contractor

Bad Smell in Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 871102825 View Post
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Bad Smell in Dryer

Nasty work if there is something dead in there, but detach the vent. Unplug the dryer and look in the exhaust tube under the dryer. This is the lowest point where the squirrel cage sits. Unlikely ANYTHING COULD GET PAST THERE into the dryer itself.

Check the vent line all the way outside. If you have damper or screen on it, it is also unlikely anything could get in but if there is no cover a critter could crawl in and fall down inside. If you are unsure try to roll a tennis ball through from outside, if your vent pipe is not buried behind a wall.

A mouse could get into the element area with a lot of effort but the element is generally pretty well protected to avoid contact with clothes.

Do you have rotting smell or an acrid burned hair and cooked smell....

when this is done, install a new vent with a weighted damper. This will ensure the door closes fully outside and keep cold air out at the same time
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Bad Smell in Dryer

Iking7 did you ever get the smell out of your dyrer? Mine does the same thing. ( wet dog smell )
bmannvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,036

Bad Smell in Dryer

you will have to disassemble the entire dryer until you find the culprit. I've seen everything from mice to squirrels