Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Bad push to start, GE Elec Dryer

GE Elec Dryer, DDE5900RALAD

Whilst replacing a bad door switch on a friend's dryer I noticed that the dryer ran immediately after I turned the timer dial without pressing the push to start button. IOW it seems the button switch is permanently closed. Otherwise the dryer works fine, the time counts down and the door switch works. I checked for parts but this switch on this model seems to be one of several in a block of switches that is no longer available. So I was just wondering if there is any long term safety issue with having the push to start switch permanently closed.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 35

Bad push to start, GE Elec Dryer

Should be ok but you are now using the timer to start the dryer motor instead of the start switch. The motor draws high current (very briefly) when starting and will cause some arcing of the contacts used to start it. The start switch is designed to handle this more so than the timer but I can't say for sure how significant the difference is. There will be no effect on the start switch as it is bypassed once the motor is started anyway by the motor centrifugal switch. I do see the switch on ebay right now. Search on part number WE4X786. Have a look and see if that is the correct switch. Another option would be to just install another dryer start switch in the panel and modify the wiring to accomodate it (just transfer two wires).

Last edited by thefixer56; 03-26-2014 at 10:43 AM.
thefixer56 is offline   Reply With Quote