Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |

Is This Bad On a Freezer?

Over filling a freezer.
I'm thinking it is but I'm not an appliance guy. Ordinary fridge bottom, freezer top refrigerator.
This guy's freezer is packed full from back to front, and bottom to top. I mean the top, you couldn't fit a popsicle stick on top. All that food could be blocking any vents and there can't be any air circulation.

He keeps calling the office complaining about the fridge and now he has to use duct tape to keep the freezer door closed. Sure enough when I go look at it again, there's a strip of duct tape on the door.
It looks like the food is keeping the door from closing but I can't tell. It's packed so full I can't push anything back.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Sounds like they need to either quit stockpiling, due to the food in there is not going to keep, and the fact, that they need a larger freezer. I try to keep mine upstairs only full with the stuff we need, and even downstairs in our upright, we only keep enough to last three or four months at the max. I look at it, that stores are a plenty, and that this is not a situation that warrants keeping so much food, that you end up throwing stuff out for going bad after four or so months.

Also, that stuff in the front is not freezing properly, and would not be any good under the situation that you are stating. Now, if you really want to be evil, you could talk to your local health department regarding your concerns, and that party's health.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

A freezer is just like an air conditioner and although it depends on many things in order to operate properly one of the most important things is air flow. If there is no room for air flow then it will never cool properly. The fact that the door doesn't close all of the way tells me this guy needs an intervention! No freezer will operate properly with the door ajar.
jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Remodeler

A refrigerator freezer relies on air flow to cool not only the freezer but cold air is circulated to and from the fridge box too. Air must be able to circulate to keep all the freezer contents frozen. Due to repeated defrost cycles food should not be kept long term in a frost free freezer anyway. This repeated thawing and refreeze shortens the storage life a lot.

A deep freeze is different, the whole box is surrounded by cooling coils, there is no fan inside and no need for air movement inside the freezer.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #5

Thanks guys. That's what I thought about the lack of air flow. Long story, short.
The apartment owner(my boss) came in this a.m. Went down to look at it, told the guy to unload some food from the rear that's probably freezer burnt anyway,
and to quit over-filling it.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

That and the fact, that how much went bad from not being able to stay within the proper temps for frozen food items, along with also keeping the refrigerator section warmer than it should be.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote