Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

appliance water drains

I plan on hooking up a dish washer and a cloths waser in a spot were they've never been before.

I am thinking of running dedicated lines through the basement and crawlspace (yes, both) instead of tieing them back to the sink.

I've always seen dishwashers hooked up to garbage disposals. is there a reason for that other than convenience?

I've also always seen cloths washers draining into an open unsealed drain or sink.
Am I going to run into any problems if I hook them both up securely to a Y in a drain pipe?
would I need a P trap? or do they both effectively have one built in?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

appliance water drains

The clothes washer will require an appropriately sized and trapped standpipe, connected to an appropriately vented 2" or larger drain line.

The dishwasher will require a properly trapped connection to the drain system, and in most jurisdictions the flexible drain line from the dishwasher will require a high-loop or air gap.

These are a number of other considerations as well, but we would have to know more about your installation (including if you are under the UPC or the IRC ) to know which apply.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

appliance water drains

well, 2" isn't an option without a massive redo of the whole drain system.

I've got the kitchen sink conecting to a 1 1/2" PVC pipe going into the floor of the basement. no dedicated vent noticable there. I don't know if it vants throught to the bathroom drain area

I could possibly tie intot he bathroom drain mess that includes a cast iron for the toilet and some threaded in 1 1/2" PVC. and a big 4" cast iron and PVC vent. That isn't ideal because it would have a long stretch of horizontal pipe with little to no slope

I don't know what the drain system does under the floor, but they are about 15' apart

there are sections in both the kitchen and bathroom drains that need attention reguardless of wich way I go.

I guess I could upsize the kitchen sink pipe to 2" and shrink it down right before it hits the floor. I could probably tie into the PVC hot water exhaust pipe to make a vent for that drain.

Codes don't mean nearly as much to me as working drains
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
No Hacks Allowed!

appliance water drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
well, 2" isn't an option without a massive redo of the whole drain system.

I've got the kitchen sink conecting to a 1 1/2" PVC pipe going into the floor of the basement. no dedicated vent noticable there. I don't know if it vants throught to the bathroom drain area

I could possibly tie intot he bathroom drain mess that includes a cast iron for the toilet and some threaded in 1 1/2" PVC. and a big 4" cast iron and PVC vent. That isn't ideal because it would have a long stretch of horizontal pipe with little to no slope

I don't know what the drain system does under the floor, but they are about 15' apart

there are sections in both the kitchen and bathroom drains that need attention reguardless of wich way I go.

I guess I could upsize the kitchen sink pipe to 2" and shrink it down right before it hits the floor.

I could probably tie into the PVC hot water exhaust pipe to make a vent for that drain.

Codes don't mean nearly as much to me as working drains
WOW forresth!

Your sentences quoted above in RED really do reflect that plumbing codes don't mean that much to you. Having a "git 'er dun" attitude combined with a lack of basic plumbing codes usually guarantees that TROUBLE-FREE WORKING DRAINS that you desire in the first place will NOT exist.

The keyword here is TROUBLE-FREE.

There are very good reasons for having plumbing codes, building codes and electrical codes.

Good luck!

Last edited by NoHax; 09-10-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarify sentence
NoHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #5

appliance water drains

if nothing else first the washer and d/w will start siphoning then the washer will clog the pipe with lint and all the water will start backing up into the appl and flood the floor...safety last??
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #6

appliance water drains

So you guys would really rent a jackhammer and tear up the basment and completely redo the whole drain system in the house when the drains are flowing fine?