Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

annoying F-2 error

I have a Magic chef gas range, in the past a couple times would get the error and the warning beeper goes off. If I hit the clear button it would be fine. I googled the error and it has something to do with the clock, pretty vague description but does not sound critical.
This morning it has gone off so many times I had to pull the range out and unplug it.

My first thought is to remove the cover panel on it and see if I can disable it some how, that does not sound like a great idea.
So thought I would ask here, if anyone has an idea what could be wrong and a good fix for it?
Will now pull the cover off, no clue what I am searching for.

Kept getting mixed readings from F-2 F-3 F-4,
I unplugged the temp sensor, used a small brass wire brush and cleaned the connections and plugged it back in. Problem has not come back since then and cross fingers.

Last edited by funfool; 10-22-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: solved
funfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

annoying F-2 error

Google the maker and model # and add trouble shooting.
Plenty of self help guides and parts break downs on line.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

annoying F-2 error

More info, I went to google the error again. soon as I started putting in the model # my history came up and showed I was searching for a F-0 error, that was the clock.
Something about a sticky touch pad and replace it, but everything worked perfect and hit clear and would not come back, happened 2 times in 1 year.

So your advice to search google was spot on, I now realize F-2 is a new error and not the clock I thought it was.
Since the oven or burners are not in use, it seems is a bad temp sensor.
According to this, seems I should get F-3 or F-4, At least I know where to start.
Temperature Issues

• The "F2" error code will be displayed if the Magic Chef oven gets too hot. This is usually a sign that the temperature sensor needs to be replaced. An "F3" or "F4" error code indicates that the temperature sensor is open or has shorted out.
Sorry to ramble, just reading what I wrote and makes me wonder, I had previous issues with the clock, now it is telling me the oven is too hot and not even turned on.
So I plugged it back in and turned on the oven to 300. It will beep and tell you when it has reached cooking temp. It got to 300 on the digital gauge way to fast and beeped.
Opened the oven and burner never came on yet. Cranked it up to 400 and was more reasonable time to get to temp and burners did come on.
I let it cool down to see if could replicate the issue and now am getting a F-4 error and happens so quickly that no chance to try the oven.
Think I found it.

I just want to be careful and not dump money I cant afford in chasing the wrong problem. Because of previous issue with clock .... suspecting it may be the board and not really the sensor ... I dunno