American Standard Furnace - Burner Won't Light - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

American Standard furnace - burner won't light

Hi I was wondering if I could run something by just to see if it sounds reasonable. I had a furnace repair technician out today to look at my American Standard Freedom 80 furnace (about 18 yrs old). The blower comes on but it never blows any heat. The LEDs inside the furnace panel blink 4 quick red lights which apparently indicates a thermal fault?

He disconnected a few wires and connected something and then was able to get the burners to come on. He put his hand in near the burners and says he can tell that my heat exchanger is 'cracked'. He says it is not safe to run the unit because eventually flames from the burners can actually come out of the front panel.
He forwarded the call to another tech who he says will give me an estimate for a new furnace. He says since the unit is about 18 years old it does not pay to have the heat exchanger replaced. My question is, the fact that he diagnosed a cracked heat exchanger just by the fact that the thermal sensor tripped and by feeling heat coming off the burners. Does that sound like an accurate and reasonable conclusion or should I be getting another opinion? Thanks for any info.
Bill

Advertisement

byoung309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

They are wrong. They are trying to sell you a new unit which isn't a bad idea but their ethics are.

A high temperature limit switch tripped and that is due to lack of air flow such as dirty filters or a dirty evaporator coil. The evaporator coil is used in cooling mode to cool the air but the air in heating mode still has to travel through it, pretty much it's just in the way. Any dirt that possibly gets sucked up into the fuirnace becomes trapped in the evaporator coil, restricting air flow. Restricting heated air causes hot air to accumulate, becoming hotter and hotter. When that happens your high temperature limit switch trips, disengaging the call for hall. He bypassed those switches to get you running which is wrong as now your furnace is a fire hazard. The limit switch did it's job, the tech did not. He should have left the fiurnace off until he replaced that switch.

A flame roll out switch cuts the furnace off in the event a flame does not stay in the heat exchanger (burner compartment), if you have one and I'm sure you have either that or a limit switch in the burner compartment to do just that but if he's disengaged it then who knows.

A CO meter is what you use to test if a crack is present.

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Do yourself a favor, be done with this company.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Obviously your furnace got too hot and a temperature limit switch tripped so what's going to happen now that you don't have one and it's overheating? Fire is what is going to happen, that's what.

You have no safety switches. If your home burns down tonight, you'll know. If not, get rid of those guys and get someone who at least tells you the truth as to the benefits of a new furnace, the pros and cons of keeping your old one versus purchasing a new one, rather than using this company who sent a kid with Spidey senses to determine that you have a crack in the heat exchanger.

Good grief, I've heard it all, now.

And have a lead tech come out or the owner of the next company.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

I just can't get enough, heat is coming off of the burners so there's a crack in the heat exchanger?? If that's the case than every furnace, old and brand new, all have cracks in the heat exchangers all over the globe.

Tell that kid to join this site, I want to hear this from the horses mouth.