Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

2yr old Haier Dehumidifier stopped working

Hi;
About 2 years ago I purchased a Haier HD456 45pt dehumidifier. It was working well until it started to run for the first time yesterday. It had not been running over the winter.

The unit turns on, the compressor and fan run, but after it had been apparently running most (if not the whole) night, there wasn't a drop of water in the bucket.

I removed the front panel to expose the coils, so I could find out whether they are getting cold.
After the unit has been running for at least an hour, the coils are not noticeably cold.

I used an Amprobe to check the current, and found it is 4.6A, not the 5.6A rated. The reading was also fluctuating by about 0.25A, in cycles of about 1 second as it runs.

I suspect that some or all of the charge has leaked out of the unit.
I'm wondering whether this type of unit will have a fitting for recharging.
If so, I might buy a can of R22 and recharge myself.
I believe it is possible to know when you have the correct charge by watching the current, and charging until the current reaches its rated value.
I watched an AC repairman do this once in a wall unit (10,000BTU) once. He didn't use any gauges; just checked the current.

Anyway; I'm a bit frustrated at this, since I have an old Sears Coldspot unit of about the same capacity that is 35 years old and still running. I did have to replace the humidistat in that one a couple of times though.

Any ideas?

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote