Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

115v rv power cord.

hello i am trying to hook up a 115v water pump in my trailer but the pump did not come with the power cord attached. i know nothing about electrical. anyone have any information that may help? thank you in advance.

keeme68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

115v rv power cord.

You are probably sure, but just in case. Every RV I've seen has a 12volt water pump. If you install a 115v one, you'll never be able to draw off of the tank without hooking into shore power. I rarely use my pump. But when I do, it's usually on the side of the highway with a kid needing a bathroom now or something where I need 12v.

If you are sure you want a 115v, you may be able to tap a new wire into your power inverter. Or maybe piggyback off of the wire going to the fridge or microwave?

Feel free to ignore me if I'm off base.

Catdaddyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #3

115v rv power cord.

Where's the directions that came with the pump?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

115v rv power cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Where's the directions that came with the pump?
Probably 1) Never came with any, or 2) Are in the trash with the rest of the stuff that the motor was packaged in.

The motor should have a rating plate on it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5

115v rv power cord.

Unless you exclusively camp at places with electric hookups, there's no sense in installing a 120V water pump. There's a reason virtually all RVs come with 12V DC pumps.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

115v rv power cord.

thank for the responses folks. so i should have mentioned that the trailer is being built as a mobile dog grooming trailer. i had the trailer built by big tex,and has all been wired with plug ins threw out the trailer.the fuze box is 30amp and will be ran off a 6500watt honda generator.i do have the instructions.it does not show how to hook up plug.pump says 50/60hz 1amp max. there are 3 wires. a green with yellow stripe,1 black,1 white.i am going to see if i can post pic. also i am in queen creek arizona. thanks again for your help
Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

115v rv power cord.

You really need a pump with a built in pressure switch so as you needed water it kicked in, water off pump shuts off.
I'd also want a pressure tank to even out the flow of water and so the pump did not turn on and off all the time.
It would be set up just like what installed on a home with a well.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

115v rv power cord.

i hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
115v rv power cord.-resampled_2013-06-14_15-33-53_766water-pump.jpg   115v rv power cord.-resampled_2013-06-14_15-34-34_641water-pump.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

115v rv power cord.

Yellow with Green is your ground, the others are hooke like normal. Blame it on from the otherside of the pond for this color scheme.

But still, I would use a holding tank, with a fluid level float that would cut the pump off on low level, and a switch that would cut the pump on, on demand, rather than have it running all of the time.

check with local Farm supply store, or online for sites that sell for mobile wash units, for everything. The tank you could probably get at eBay, or order through a camper supply or boat supply.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

115v rv power cord.

outstanding gentlemen..Thank you for the advice.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #11

115v rv power cord.

That pump has a built in pressure switch which is good. All you need is a holding tank, not one with a float in it.
If it was me I would use S/O cord ran to an outlet to power the pump.
Main reason I would never wire it direct is those pumps some times fail and it would be a whole lot easyer to remove for service.
I'd also add a check valve in the suction line so the pump would not be starting dry all the time.