Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wobbling after new tires

I had to have my front tires replaced recently. The back ones are still in good shape with good tread. However, after the front ones were replaced, I feel a wobbling around 65 MPH. Which is annoying, considering that's the highway speed limit so I feel it all the time!

I took it back to the store to have them check everything. They said the alignment was fine, it's that my struts and shocks are old and need replaced (that is true) and one of my back tires has a slight cupping to it.

They said sometimes putting on new tires will reveal other problems you didn't notice before, and that's the case with my car. Is this true?

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Wobbling after new tires

Yes, bad front struts can feel like a loose wheel, bad wheel bearings, or a broken broken belt in tire, among other things.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #3

Wobbling after new tires

My struts and shocks are old, but I wouldn't say they are "bad". But I was surprised at the wobbling I felt after replacing the front tires. It seems like it's something I should have felt before to some extent with the old tires.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #4

Wobbling after new tires

Worn suspension parts can certainly cause odd behavior, but what you are describing is very typical of a wheel being out of balance. I'd have them re-check the wheels, starting with the ones you put new tires on.

If you are suspect of their diagnosis, take it to another shop to check.
D-2.5-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #5

Wobbling after new tires

Make, model and year of the car please.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Wobbling after new tires

lift it off the ground and spin each of the front tires. I have seen too many idiot kids put a wheel on cocked. They have no business using impact guns putting tires on and should be soundly beaten with an air hose for doing it.

sorry, I had flashbacks of it happening to me.

anyway, spin the new tires to see if they have been put on cocked. It may be as simply as loosening all the nuts and then setting the wheel on straight and gradually tightening the nuts in the proper order in several steps of tightening.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

Wobbling after new tires

the tires should be torked to a certian feet per pound . Not just put on with a impack driver tell it will no longer drive on the nut. That is how stud's get broken off or stripped. Of couse they were bad before??? bull crap.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #8

Wobbling after new tires

2000 Plymouth mini van. The ultimate sexy, smooth, road machine. (Plus it helped get me out of a ticket. Cop pulled me over for speeding. As he was talking to me, I turned on the interior lights so he could see the child car seats and all the Happy Meal toys scattered around. I smiled and said "Does this van really look like something that can even go that fast?" and he cracked up and let me go. )

The suspension needs replaced cuz of the miles, but when I hit a bump my van doesn't bounce up and down, nor does it sway side to side. That's what I mean when I say it isn't "bad", but it does need replaced.

When I took it back to the shop for them to check, they checked the alignment once again. His first suspicion was that a weight had fallen off one of the wheels, but they were still attached. He said the alignment was fine, but one of the back wheels was "cupped" and the old front tires had worn in a way to hide the effect from that cupping. He said the new tires don't hide it anymore and now I'm feeling it.

Does that explanation make sense to you all?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
fabrk8r

Wobbling after new tires

If the struts need replacing, replace them and see how it feels...that should help your tires last longer which will offset the cost of the struts (if they need replacing).
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #10

Wobbling after new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
His first suspicion was that a weight had fallen off one of the wheels, but they were still attached.
Both a missing weight OR a poorly placed one can cause this issue. I'd have them pull the weights on the new wheels and re-set them.
D-2.5-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

Wobbling after new tires

Curious what the mileage is.

My guess is a balance issue. I had similar problems in the past. Have them checkt the balance...and find a place that can do a "road force balance" with a Hunter machine. Google that for details...but that's what I did and my all terrain tires now glide like butter on the highway....course I too replaced struts and shocks.

I think the rear tire cupping story is total bs. Many mechanics would much rather grasp at straws than say they haven't figured something out yet.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Do work

Wobbling after new tires

re balance all tires.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #13

Wobbling after new tires

This was done at a national chain, so I'm thinking of taking it to another store location and have them check the alignment/balance.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #14

Wobbling after new tires

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #15

Wobbling after new tires

Steering wheel.