Wire Harness Swap On O2 Sensor - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wire harness swap on O2 sensor

Is it possible to swap the wire harness on an oxygen sensor? I live in Costa Rica and parts are hard to come by on my 06 Chevy Suburban. I ordered an OEM sensor according to the VIN and it does not fit. The plug on the sensor is a trapezoid and the receptacle o the truck is a square. Is it possible to use the old wiring harness with the new sensor?

Advertisement

fatboyelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 550

it's 2 wires as far as I remember, going to the sensor itself. problem possible is that O2 sensor is based on resistance. Every time you add a splice or solder, you changing system resistance. So, it's a crap shot. I'd say, definitely solder, and solder well. Least resistance obstruction.

Advertisement

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

As a rule automobile manufacturers change things and not all sensors are the same "electrically".

These might create a "voltage" which it sends back on the wires. One model sensor might send a higher voltage than another model sensor. So if you connected a "different" sensor, it would not send the correct "information" to the vehicle computer...

Then as a rule automobile parts NEVER have this electrical information provided with the part - all you get is a part in a box with a part number on it. And the factory wiring diagrams and service information as a rule NEVER give the electrical specifications of anything.

Anyway impossible to tell if that sensor is "electrically" the same as the part which has the correct connector.

So "for sure" would be to get the part with the same connector. Some on-line parts stores show the electrical connectors for oxygen sensors for some vehicles. Might try here (exhaust - after selecting vehicle)...
http://www.rockauto.com/
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Billy Bob is right. I fought a losing battle trying to make electrical components "work" in my wife's Volvo. Universal/solder-ready/aftermarket all mean you're taking a risk that it wont work right. These components are very sensitive and tuned specifically to the car they are in.

Once you cut that original connector you risk never making it right again. Do a google search on soldering vs. crimping automotive components. Solder can be too brittle for the frequent vibrations that happen in a car. Spend the extra money on an OEM part with the correct connector and be done with it. Or be hard headed like me and try and make it work
jmd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I took vel in they replaced an O2 sensor, they used barrel splice.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote