Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Wind shield wiper cut off switch

I bought a 2009 Montana van last fall! Its wipers are mounted under the rear edge of the hood! Looks nice when in sunny California, but here in the land of ice and snow (Canada) its a problem! When the wipers get encrusted with chunks of ice, it must be removed manually! My usual method is to lift the blade off the window surface and then let it snap back down, to break away the ice! Repeating as necessary! However, with this van they get tucked back under the hood, when the are turned off. Even if I turn off the ignition, they still return home! I would like to have a 'kill' switch so that I can turn them off, while they are in an exposed position! Ideally, the switch would break the circuit to prevent their return, but would restore to normal once the switch is released! Anybody have any idea on how to do this?

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
the Musigician

when frozen tight, i use a gallon of warm/hot water to defrost fast. you might try using a rain repellent on the blades as well, such as rain-x.
this may help prevent buildup. as to a kill switch.... just grab them fast when they come up like i used to! lol

DM

Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
when frozen tight, i use a gallon of warm/hot water to defrost fast. you might try using a rain repellent on the blades as well, such as rain-x.
this may help prevent buildup. as to a kill switch.... just grab them fast when they come up like i used to! lol

DM
Thanks for the reply, DM. I guess what you suggest is what I'm doing now! I find it frustrating that the "California" guys hold sway when the big three are designing, and yet there's a 100 million of us out here that have to suffer along with the ice and snow!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
the Musigician

you'd think something called MONTANA would be able to DRIVE there! roflmao

DM
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
you'd think something called MONTANA would be able to DRIVE there! roflmao

DM
Thanks for the laugh, DM. I needed that! I'm still chuckling!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I bought a 2009 Montana van last fall! Its wipers are mounted under the rear edge of the hood! Looks nice when in sunny California, but here in the land of ice and snow (Canada) its a problem! When the wipers get encrusted with chunks of ice, it must be removed manually! My usual method is to lift the blade off the window surface and then let it snap back down, to break away the ice! Repeating as necessary! However, with this van they get tucked back under the hood, when the are turned off. Even if I turn off the ignition, they still return home! I would like to have a 'kill' switch so that I can turn them off, while they are in an exposed position! Ideally, the switch would break the circuit to prevent their return, but would restore to normal once the switch is released! Anybody have any idea on how to do this?
A toggle switch mounted under your dashboard or another convenient location and wired in series with the windshield wiper motor positive terminal or the fuse for it is one option.
You may be able to find the wiring diagram at Parts Source or online.
dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
A toggle switch mounted under your dashboard or another convenient location and wired in series with the windshield wiper motor positive terminal or the fuse for it is one option.
Thanks for your suggestion! One thing that concerns me, is that a lot of devices on cars these days are controlled from the computer (doors, windows, lights etc) and I wonder if the wipers are done so as well! All this stuff is controlled from the steering column paddle. I doubt that it would be a great leap for this to be done!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Tinkerer

Smile

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion! One thing that concerns me, is that a lot of devices on cars these days are controlled from the computer (doors, windows, lights etc) and I wonder if the wipers are done so as well! All this stuff is controlled from the steering column paddle. I doubt that it would be a great leap for this to be done!
I understand your concern, however, simply cutting off the positive lead to the wiper moter wth a single pole single throw switch should have no bearing on the vehicles' computer systems.
I'm not 100% sure that there is any feedback to the computers that the wiper motor has actually turned "on".
I'd go for it.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
I understand your concern, however, simply cutting off the positive lead to the wiper moter wth a single pole single throw switch should have no bearing on the vehicles' computer systems.
I'm not 100% sure that there is any feedback to the computers that the wiper motor has actually turned "on".
I'd go for it.
There's so much stuff on vehicle these days that gets to be recorded as a fault code, I wonder if a wiper 'malfunction' would be recorded, and cause all sorts of bells and lights to occur!
I would really like to see a wiring diagram for the circuitry!
Would ther be any place on the net where I could find this info?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Tinkerer

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
There's so much stuff on vehicle these days that gets to be recorded as a fault code, I wonder if a wiper 'malfunction' would be recorded, and cause all sorts of bells and lights to occur!
I would really like to see a wiring diagram for the circuitry!
Would ther be any place on the net where I could find this info?
Google your question.
Also, check out any Pontiac specific Forums.
Perhaps someone has already "been there, done that".
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
World's Tallest Midget

An old beach towel stuffed in there would be a very cheap and easy solution.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Google your question.
Also, check out any Pontiac specific Forums.
Perhaps someone has already "been there, done that".
Good idea! Thanks! I'll do that!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #13

Hey Wildie,
Some vehicles have a winter up and summer down position for the wipers. Might be worth checking. Also pick up a set of CAP WINTER WIPERS FROM
Walmart. These don't have exposed hinges. They are not "cap " brand but they say that on the centre pivot cover
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Hey Wildie,
Some vehicles have a winter up and summer down position for the wipers. Might be worth checking. Also pick up a set of CAP WINTER WIPERS FROM
Walmart. These don't have exposed hinges. They are not "cap " brand but they say that on the centre pivot cover
Hmmm! I wonder how they would be changed from winter to summer? This is certainly what I would be looking for!

Should I trade up to a Lincoln or a Lexus? LOL!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Hey Wildie,
What vehicle has something you refer to as a winter/summer change for the wipers?

Just curious

oregondiy is offline   Reply With Quote