Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #1

Share |

Where to look for used cars online?

This isn't a repair thread, so if it's better suited for the Off-Topic section, I apologize.

I'm looking to buy a used car and truck. I've already narrowed it down to which vehicles I want.

Does anyone know of any other websites besides Craigslist, eBay, and Autotrader when it comes to finding used cars?

I'm tired of looking through all of the junk on CL and/or dealing with some of the morons that are on there. eBay is always overpriced with dealer cars, and Autotrader has everything except what I want.

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

cars.com isn't terrible.

You may also want to try your local newspaper's website, people do amazingly still use classifieds.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

I've got a buddy who's used Carmax a few times.
bassJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bassJAM For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

craigslist.

Can't beat it. You are not the right kind of buyer for it, though. You need to know cars and have cash on hand, and be very responsive to the right ads. For the last years, we bought and sold all of our cars on craigslist. And calling people idiots goes both ways, as buyers are much worse than sellers. They come unprepared, have no money to buy with, and only burn your gas and tell you BS about your car. But I had some amazing deals off craigslist.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You are not the right kind of buyer for it, though. You need to know cars and have cash on hand, and be very responsive to the right ads. For the last years, we bought and sold all of our cars on craigslist. And calling people idiots goes both ways, as buyers are much worse than sellers. They come unprepared, have no money to buy with, and only burn your gas and tell you BS about your car. But I had some amazing deals off craigslist.
Hardly. I am the perfect buyer. I have yet to find the right seller.

I've spent my entire life since I was 14 working on cars. I have more than enough cash on hand for both vehicles that I want and then some. I'm just not falling for someones highly disguised POS.

I know what the value of the cars I want is, and I do not mind paying a little more than what they are worth if they are in that good of condition.

I didn't call all people idiots. I said "some of the morons".

Don't add text to my post.

"Some of the morons" refers to the people that say that there is nothing wrong with the car, yet when I go to look at it, its obviously been wrecked before, has bad rings, a slipping transmission, lien on the title, etc...

If you say there is nothing wrong with the car, then that means that there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR. Not, "nothing wrong with the car, except for this little surprise I failed to mention until you drove way out of your way to come see it!...."

I drove 75+ miles one way to look at a car that the seller said was flawless. When I got there, it was very obvious that this car had been wrecked before.
For one, the paint code didn't match the actual color of the vehicle. #2, Vehicle was listed on CL as a 2004. The tag showed 1999 model year, yet the front clip was the newer body style. Changing the front end does not change the year the car was made.
When questioned, I was told that it had a salvage title. Beforehand, when talking through emails and telephone, I was told "clean Texas title". Apparently, they thought I was the moron that wouldn't notice their cobbled together vehicle. Then, when I called them out about it, I was asked to leave. Waste of a trip for nothing.

How about the sellers who say "email me for more information". Then when you email them, they respond back with a phone number to call. After 3 - 5 days of attempting to contact them, they finally answer and beat around the bush about your questions about the vehicle, never giving a straight answer about one, and still insist that you still come see it in person instead.

Want me to continue on with the people I have dealt with so far? I honestly don't see the point.

You may have had luck on CL, but I haven't. Don't take offense when I refer to "some of the morons" because that's all I have dealt with on there, and i have been looking for over a year now and have yet to find one honest person. Maybe things are different in your state, but in Houston, CL appears to be full of used car salesmen, liars, and con-artists to me.

Maybe "the right kind of buyer" is someone who thinks they know cars but actually only knows the specs they read on the internet, has money on hand, and doesn't care what they buy, just so long as they get something with 4 wheels and air conditioning in their name?

Yeah, not me.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 05-16-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

Just curious, what actually are you looking for?
It seems some are harder to find then others for different reasons.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
Just curious, what actually are you looking for?
It seems some are harder to find then others for different reasons.
One of these:
2004+ Crown Victoria (no P71's)
2004+ Grand Marquis

One of these:
1992-1996 F-150 / 300-6/5spd
1992-1997 F-250 351 w/manual tranny
1973-1979 F-100 / 6cyl / manual tranny
2004-2008 F150 4.6 -5.4 w/manual tranny
2004-2008 F250 5.4 w/manual tranny
2004+ Ford ranger 2.3 / 5spd
1993-1995 Lightning

Obviously the F100 is going to be harder to find, and that's not the sellers I was referring to in my initial post. I was actually referring to the people selling the 2004+ CV's/GM's and Rangers, which are still pretty common.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 05-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
This isn't a repair thread, so if it's better suited for the Off-Topic section, I apologize.

I'm looking to buy a used car and truck. I've already narrowed it down to which vehicles I want.

Does anyone know of any other websites besides Craigslist, eBay, and Autotrader when it comes to finding used cars?

I'm tired of looking through all of the junk on CL and/or dealing with some of the morons that are on there. eBay is always overpriced with dealer cars, and Autotrader has everything except what I want.
I'm a huge fan of Craiglsist, myself. bought my 2001 F250 7.3 Powerstroke, a near $10k truck at the time (7 months ago), for $5400.00 cash. Bought my Cutlass Sierra for $1200, with only 70k miles on it. That was a one owner, an elderly lady who bought it brand new and later on became legally blind. Tires alone were worth $1200.00, Pirelli's.

I've sold my old F150 from cl a few years ago, within a few days, and most recently, my mini van within three hours of posting it for sale.

other than that just what you see on the side of the road. pm me what type of car and truck, years and accessories you want on them, and I'll help you look, keep my eyes open. You're only an hour from me so...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Oops, didn't see your last post.

1969 F100, $2500. He'll take $2200, I'm sure.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3749025111.html

a '72 for $1500.00
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3809865888.html

a '73 for $3300.00. Looks good, too.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3752214402.html

a '72 for 3k. runs and drives, no mention of motor or tranny option.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3749303603.html

asking 3k obo for a '77. 302 with a c4 tranny that needs rebuilt.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3798712916.html

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Oops, didn't see your last post.

1969 F100, $2500. He'll take $2200, I'm sure.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3749025111.html
Thanks, but i'm aiming for something in a bit better condition, and preferably with a dual master cylinder (1971+). I've had my share of fun with suicide brakes.

That '73 is an auto tranny. I've already seen it.

Thanks for looking. CL, eBay, and Autotrader is my morning routine covering Houston to Austin and then some.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Thanks, but i'm aiming for something in a bit better condition, and preferably with a dual master cylinder (1971+). I've had my share of fun with suicide brakes.

That '73 is an auto tranny. I've already seen it.

Thanks for looking. CL, eBay, and Autotrader is my morning routine covering Houston to Austin and then some.
you missed out. the guys from Fast 'n' Loud in Dallas sold their, i think it was a '71, F100 for 20k. it was a tiny beast.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #12

Not sure what Fast 'n' Loud is. TV show?

20k is more than I want to pay. I was hoping on finding something in decent condition for around 6k as far as the F100 goes.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

this one looks pretty good but it's an auto tranny, I think. not sure why you want a manual and don't say because it's faster because there's not a chance in hell it is.

'71 in Cypress. i bet he'll take $3500.00.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3803100374.html
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Not sure what Fast 'n' Loud is. TV show?

20k is more than I want to pay. I was hoping on finding something in decent condition for around 6k as far as the F100 goes.
Yup, on Discovery. Richard Rawlins, the owner of the garage called Gas Monkey, and Aaron something or another, the master mechanic. Them guys find old beat up junkers and turn 'em into hot rods. They're in Dallas.

and look at the truck they're leaning on!

and their newest team member, a welder.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
this one looks pretty good but it's an auto tranny, I think. not sure why you want a manual and don't say because it's faster because there's not a chance in hell it is.

'71 in Cypress. i bet he'll take $3500.00.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3803100374.html
I've driven manual my entire life and have no interest in an Auto. Manual is more reliable. Gas mileage is better with a manual, though with an F100, does gas mileage even matter?

I just personally prefer manual over auto.

but the Crown Victoria only comes in Auto....

When I get a Crown Vic or Marquis, it will be getting a TR3650 swap from a Mustang. Something about a full size, RWD, 4-door American car with a stick shift that just screams fun. America hasn't made that combination in a very long time.