Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Share |

Where to get a cheap lug wrench

Does anyone know of a place that sells cheap lug wrenches?

I have to buy about 20 of them for a bunch of trailers that we have at work and I only need either 13/16 or 3/4 size, so the ones with 4 sizes are somewhat overkill, but nobody seems to sell the individual tire irons with the single size wrench on them.

I have found the 4-way wrenches for as low as $7 online but then there is shipping. I was almost hoping to find the single ones for a few bucks somewhere.

Does anyone know of any such source?

Thanks

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
DIY Hack

My local Pick-n-pull junk yard sells jacks for $6 and lug wrenches for $1

Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

go to salvage yards. chevy and ford use 13/16, none of them are universal and every vehicle ever made comes with one so it won't be hard. plus sometimes the yard will let you go and pull parts yourself when your looking for something they don't care about
cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

I did give that a shot today. I went to one yard where I could walk around and check each car. Out of about 50 cars I checked I did not find a single one. The spare tire and jack was gone from most of them and even those that still had the jack did not have the wrench.

It's a good idea but I will have to check on some other salvage places and see if I have better luck.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
I did give that a shot today. I went to one yard where I could walk around and check each car. Out of about 50 cars I checked I did not find a single one. The spare tire and jack was gone from most of them and even those that still had the jack did not have the wrench.

It's a good idea but I will have to check on some other salvage places and see if I have better luck.

Thanks

salvage yards are not the same as pickn' pull yards. salvage yards buy writeoffs. and they don't normally allow just anybody to rome around. you have to say the right things. but more important, if you have visited them a number of times for what ever, u might have a bit more success. yards like this don't part anything out. the vehicle is their storage. they might pic wheels and tires, or some chioce electronics, but unless they know they have room elsewhere they pretty much let the thing sit till d-day. the one drawback to salvage yards: they keep their stock 10 years old or less, so forget about the oldies.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #6

I called it a salvage yard but the one I visited was a pick & pull type place
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
I called it a salvage yard but the one I visited was a pick & pull type place
did you know people have been known to camp out at pick and pull yards? the people that frequent pickn' pull yards usually know whats comming in and on what day and they have a source like a friend of a friend who works there so they can get an advantage on the same problem you experienced... you don't stand a chance. i seldom deal with pickn' pull unless i know that it would be worth the effort. the jacks and whenches you want are a jem to many diyers and are always picked first. thats why i say salvage yards. writeoffs are a much better source cause the complete drivelines are their meat and potatos, not jacks and wrenches
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #8

Problem is, the salvage yards that remove the parts themselves want more per part due to labor. One place I called said it would be about $10 each.

Never thought that a junky old tire iron would be a hot commodity but it looks like it is
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Problem is, the salvage yards that remove the parts themselves want more per part due to labor. One place I called said it would be about $10 each.

Never thought that a junky old tire iron would be a hot commodity but it looks like it is
$10 is alot for just the wrench. you can get new ones for $5. but i always bend the new crap the old ones are alot better. you'll have to make a few more calls. free takes way more time.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

Where can you get new ones for $5? That would work for me. The cheapest I can find is $8 for a 4-way.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
DIY Hack

i forgot to mention...

A lot of pick-n-pull places will remove jacks from the cars as soon as they come in. When they pull the jacks, the lug wrenches often get pulled as well.

the reason is jacks that come with cars are made for 1 thing only: changing tires on paved roads. If they leave the jacks in cars, clueless hacks will use them to jack up a car as high as they can, then climb under and try to remove a transmission. Dead bodies are bad for business...

when you go to a pick-n-pull, ask if the have lug wrenches available to buy, they usually have a whole stack of them somewhere
Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
i forgot to mention...

A lot of pick-n-pull places will remove jacks from the cars as soon as they come in. When they pull the jacks, the lug wrenches often get pulled as well.

the reason is jacks that come with cars are made for 1 thing only: changing tires on paved roads. If they leave the jacks in cars, clueless hacks will use them to jack up a car as high as they can, then climb under and try to remove a transmission. Dead bodies are bad for business...

when you go to a pick-n-pull, ask if the have lug wrenches available to buy, they usually have a whole stack of them somewhere

Never thought of that. Makes a lot of sense.

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote