Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What would you do---Honda?

In 2009 my son bought a new Honda Accord--Loaded. It has now got 50K miles and at 20K he had a brake problem, cost him about $200.00 for rotors! Pads were good! At 35K miles engine started missing and check engine light came on. He took it to dealer and the charge was $279.00.
It also uses 1 to 2 quarts of oil between changes. They stated that was normal!
THREE repair jobs that he had to pay for--and get this----the dealer stated Honda knew of the problems and there should have been a recall, but charges will be refunded if Honda decides to do so!!
To me, this is Unbelievable--looks like they are selling a name instead of a quality product Sad to say that I have a friend that has had similar problems with a new Honda Accord.
I suggested that he contact Honda headquarters and file a complaint. What else could he do?

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Um, argue for warranty coverage maybe?

what is Honda's warranty?

If there was problems with the rotors, it should have been covered under warranty. I know normal wear and such isn't covered but if there was a problem with the rotors, it was not normal wear and tear but a manufacturers defect.

as to the missing. Depending what it was, it might be covered under the EPA's mandatory 8 year 80k mile warranty for certain components of the emission system. You can read here:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Your son has a three year old car and is irritated about having spent $579 bucks on it? How old is your son? Is it a manual? Does he drive it aggressively? What was his maintenance schedule? How many miles? Did he do regular oil changes? Does he use synthetic oil?

Short of replacing the car, you probably don't have a lot of options. Sorry, sounds infuriating, but what do you expect Honda to do? You're not likely to get anything out of them.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Your son has a three year old car and is irritated about having spent $579 bucks on it? How old is your son? Is it a manual? Does he drive it aggressively? What was his maintenance schedule? How many miles? Did he do regular oil changes? Does he use synthetic oil?

Short of replacing the car, you probably don't have a lot of options. Sorry, sounds infuriating, but what do you expect Honda to do? You're not likely to get anything out of them.
Your son has a three year old car and is irritated about having spent $579 bucks on it?---The car was supposed to be under the new car warranty 3/36

Does he use synthetic oil? ---Doesn't matter whether he uses synthetic oil.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

so, what was their justification for the charge for the engine miss?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
In 2009 my son bought a new Honda Accord--Loaded. It has now got 50K miles and at 20K he had a brake problem, cost him about $200.00 for rotors! Pads were good! At 35K miles engine started missing and check engine light came on. He took it to dealer and the charge was $279.00.
THREE repair jobs that he had to pay for--and get this----the dealer stated Honda knew of the problems and there should have been a recall, but charges will be refunded if Honda decides to do so!!
To me, this is Unbelievable--looks like they are selling a name instead of a quality product Sad to say that I have a friend that has had similar problems with a new Honda Accord.
I suggested that he contact Honda headquarters and file a complaint. What else could he do?
dealer stated Honda knew of the problems and there should have been a recall
They had to "reprogram" the computor after replacing all plugs.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Oldguy

What was wrong with the brakes? Pedal pulsation? It's usually caused by a mechanic not using a torque wrench to tighten wheels (typical tire/quick lube procedure) Dealers will not usually repair other facilitys mistakes under warranty. As far as the misfire, it should have been covered under the emissions warranty. Return to the dealer with a copy of the repair order and request a refund.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

and it was not covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty because??? Saying they knew of the problem does not remove coverage under a warranty. Since it was less than 3/36, barring blaming the customer for the problem or an exception to the warranty due to normal use items, I'm missing the point of why it should not be covered under warranty.

and reprogramming the computer after (because?) replacing the plugs? Sounds like BS to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

giles, here's my 2 cents.

1. rotors had to be at least simply turned. not replaced. i have little doubt, rotors will not be covered under warranty though, as it is a high wear item, along with brake pads. but let me tell you something. Hondas do have crappy metal in rotors. i had to turn rotors on my CR-V about every 15 000 miles, until i finally got fed up with this, and replaced them with good aftermarket ones. so was my son's and my Civic ones.
2. 2009 spark plugs are at least 100 000 miles warranty. most likely iridium NGKs. standard Japanese issue quality plugs. but they cost $7 a pop in any parts store and take 10 minutes to replace and no computer tune up is needed thereafter.
3. no, it is not normal for a Honda to burn 2 qts of oil between oil changes. maybe half a qrt every 2 000 miles or so, yes. what are your oil changes - every 5K?
4. where was it assembled?

maybe you have a dud. a lemon. happens. also, sounds like your son is being taken for a ride by dealership.

either way - you prolly want to rid of it and get something else. i almost said try Ford for a change, but that would have been cruel.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
giles, here's my 2 cents.

1. rotors had to be at least simply turned. not replaced. i have little doubt, rotors will not be covered under warranty though, as it is a high wear item, along with brake pads. but let me tell you something. Hondas do have crappy metal in rotors. i had to turn rotors on my CR-V about every 15 000 miles, until i finally got fed up with this, and replaced them with good aftermarket ones. so was my son's and my Civic ones.
2. 2009 spark plugs are at least 100 000 miles warranty. most likely iridium NGKs. standard Japanese issue quality plugs. but they cost $7 a pop in any parts store and take 10 minutes to replace and no computer tune up is needed thereafter.
3. no, it is not normal for a Honda to burn 2 qts of oil between oil changes. maybe half a qrt every 2 000 miles or so, yes. what are your oil changes - every 5K?
4. where was it assembled?

maybe you have a dud. a lemon. happens. also, sounds like your son is being taken for a ride by dealership.

either way - you prolly want to rid of it and get something else. i almost said try Ford for a change, but that would have been cruel.
I couldn't help but laugh--- i almost said try Ford for a change, but that would have been cruel.---But he bought a new 2005 Ford Freestyle and his wife hated it (have no idea why).
I bought the Freestyle from him with 21K miles. It now has 80K with no repairs ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:
ukrkoz (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #11

good for you. I stay away from F-word like from plague. very bad memories, very bad. but some of them are keepers, that's for sure.
personally, i got my sights on Hyundais now. they have shown very steady quality improvement through years, and pack a wallup into their cars, along with very good warranty, customer service, and more than decent price.
i am seriously considering trading in my 07 Camry hybrid for a new Sonata.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #12

I have only bought GM cars. My girlfriend back in the 70s had a Toyota Corolla. It was a piece of junk. My Granddad shot down Japanese Zeros during the war, and he called them pieces of tin junk. Sorry but that is my feeling also in Japanese and Korean cars, and I like to buy American,
(I know some are made in the US)

To the OP, sorry you had so many problems.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The Fords of today are nowhere like the Fords of yesterday. My wife's 03 Escape has been quite reliable at 98k. My 10 Taurus has 22k and was back to the dealer less times than when I had an 04 Infiniti G35. So I'd definitely not have an issue recommending one. IMHO Honda/Toyota are WAY OVERRATED.

As far as the OP's posting - it's known that Accords have paper thin brakes. Honda really should have stepped up to the plate on that one and fixed them right. Even Infiniti did (the 03/04 G35 was notorious for brake issues to) and I got a new set of brakes from them all around at 32k.

A new car shouldn't burn any oil at 3-7,500 mile change intervals. The wife's Escape is on the 5k plan (as per the Ford dealer) and burns 0 oil at 98k. My Taurus which is on the Ford 7,500 mile plan and it too burns 0 oil at 22k. My G35 (at 94k) burned 0 oil either at the recommended 3,750 mile intervals.

I'd raise holy Heck about the oil usage - 1-2 quarts every 3500 miles is insane.
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Unfortunately, this car is crap. There's NO WAY it should be having these kinds of problems before it had 50,000 miles.

And there is absolutely NO WAY you or your son should be footing the entire bill for all this. One of the main reasons for spending the big bucks for a new car is the WARRANTY.

Check into Lemon Laws. Also, check into whether there is some sort of class-action lawsuit going with these cars.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Giles (04-15-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #15

Just a general statement that is commonly misunderstood about warranties. Car Salesman typically are not knowledgeable about the actual warranties on a vehicle and that is why you will always here 3/36 bumper to bumper. The problem is that if a salesman were to know the truth and shared it with a customer it would make the manufacturer look like they will not stand behind the product. Here are the typical warranties you have on a vehicle and I will state the ones for the 2009 Honda first
New Vehicle LIMITED Warranty(notice not Bumper to Bumper)- 3/36
Power train limited warranty- 5/60
Emission Warranty
IMA Warranty
Original Battery Warranty- 3 years
Tires- Covered by tire manufacturer
Seat Belt- 15/150
Rust perforation- 5 years
Accessory Limited Warranty
Replacement Part Limited warranty- 1/12
Replacement Battery Limited warranty 100 month
Replacement Exhaust Limited warranty- as long as you own the vehicle

All of this can be found in the warranty book including this phrase
The replacement of expendable
maintenance items (such as spark
plugs, filters, wiper blades, or
brake pads/linings) unless they are
defective in material or
workmanship.

Typically anything that is designed to wear out would not be covered at all. I would recommend everyone read the warranty book... You will be surprised how many people pay for things that should be covered.

Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote