Wanna Start Mounting Tires Myself - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

wanna start mounting tires myself

since i have an air compressor. i thought i could buy tires cheaply on the internet. basically, which tool do i need to fit a tire on a rim (a pry bar of some sort, i guess) ? how hard is it to do ?

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

While it is something you can do, it is pretty labor intensive. The hardest/most time consuming part will be making sure the tire is properly balanced. This guide has some information about it. http://www.xs11.com/faq/tirefaq.shtml

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Stomp the tire until both beads are over the lip of the rim. Pour a good amount of starting fluid in the tire. Throw lit match in the tire and run. Poof! If tire isn't seated properly try again.

Seriously, how much "cheaply" can you get them on the internet with shipping included? Is there a road hazzard warranty? The last full set of passenger car tires I bought was $200 and something, mounted, balanced, warranty, and upgrade since they didn't stock the tires I wanted.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
since i have an air compressor. i thought i could buy tires cheaply on the internet. basically, which tool do i need to fit a tire on a rim (a pry bar of some sort, i guess) ? how hard is it to do ?
Your local Automotive Service Excellence mechanic maybe can tell you about how to avoid injuring yourself with this procedure. Some of the hazards are not that obvious, but tires that explode is the first thing that comes to mind.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Mounting new tires by hand is nothing but hard work. You need a couple of tire irons (not the lug wrench in your car). They used to make special shaped ones that hooked over the edge of the rim, so you could pry. The worst part is breaking the bead on your old tire. You need a bead breaker. There were a couple of types. One used a hammer and you beat the tire off the rim to break it loose. The other was a levered affair that hooked in the wheel and took muscle and a way to hold the wheel solid. I've even seen people lay the tire on the ground and drive onto the edge to break the bead. When I was a kid and worked part time at a gas station, we occaisionally got a wheel that wouldn't fit our tire machine. Then it was all manual labor. I hated those days. Good luck, I'm going to the tire store for no more than mounting and balancing costs.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Warning: Some bad language.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYtestdummy View Post
Warning: Some bad language.

Now I know how people win the Darwin Award.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote