Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #1

Share |

V8 sitting for years... what do I do?

Hello,

I have an old Chevrolet muscle car with a 350 V8 that's just been sitting for about 10-15 years, ran great before it was parked, started it up frequently for a good while, then stopped...

I'm wanting to get it back on the road... what all do I need to do and in what order?

Also, is there any trick to drying out the inside (moisture, mold), especially the floor?

Thanks in advance!

usnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #2

Change oils, rebuild carb, tune up,new tires and drive...if the engine is still free

cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Squirt some penetrating oil in the cylinders. I think they have an oil called Miracle Oil. Maybe let it set for a few days. If necessary, work the engine loose with a pull handle on the crankshaft pulley until it turns freely with the plugs removed so there is no compression making it easier for the engine to turn.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

ok... thanks, but what about the gas, fuel lines, filter, etc.?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Drain the gas a much as you can and dilute with new. New filter. If the fuel lines aren't leaking no need to mess with them. How was it stored inside or outside. Make sure you press the brakes good and hard to make sure no lines are rusted bad and will blow when you try to stop.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #6

Unfortunately... it was stored outside!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #7

That sucks...good luck on the project check over the under side and all brake components closely.may have to replace the fuel tank if it's all rust inside. Pack wheel bearings
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

After that many years, sitting outside, you're probably looking at a complete rebuild.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #9

thanks everyone... if you get any more thoughts I'd appreciate it if you can let me know... I'll be checking back.

is there something I can put in the gas tank to clean it out, provided it's not rusted?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnomad View Post
thanks everyone... if you get any more thoughts I'd appreciate it if you can let me know... I'll be checking back.

is there something I can put in the gas tank to clean it out, provided it's not rusted?
All bets are off with this one.

If this were my car I'd probably start by get a socket on the crank-shaft bolt & seeing if the engine will turn over. If yes, I'd disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put in a battery & see if it'd turn over. If yes, see if there is spark as it turns over. If it has spark, dribble some gas in the carb & see if it fires. It's kind of a "see what happens if..." sort of thing.

It's kind of a set-by-step thing. Again, I think you're looking at a complete rebuild, and that's going to take a lot of time, work and money. I hope it works out for you!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

On a service call some years ago I came across an old Oldsmobile Delta 88, 305 V8, that had been used as storage outside in a lot. Customer wanted it gone and I wanted it, just because I guess. Said he used to start it and she would run perfectly many many years ago but it's been sitting for the last four or five, since the lot was re-paved and the complex asked him to move it for that. He did and put it right back after the fact. Told me to just take it.

I towed it over to my place and began to drop the gas tank and realized it may not be worth it to invest the effort. The tank was about a third full from sitting over the years still. I added one fresh, new gallon and let it sit overnight. Cranked right over the next day, ran and drove like brand new.

Sold it a week later for $650.
Doc Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #12

Doc (and everyone else),

Did you drain the tank? Use any additive? Replace the tank? Doesn't fuel go bad and sometimes jel after so long? If the tank is empty and has no fuel, is there a chance of rust?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnomad View Post
Doc (and everyone else),

Did you drain the tank? Use any additive? Replace the tank? Doesn't fuel go bad and sometimes jel after so long? If the tank is empty and has no fuel, is there a chance of rust?
That all depends on the condition of the gas in the tank, and the condition of the tank - something nobody knows without actually being there.

At the very least, it probably wouldn't hurt to siphon as much gas as possible out of the tank, then drop in a couple gallons of fresh. See what happens.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

If the engine turns over by hand, check the oil level. If ok disable the electrical system so you will not get spark and the engine will not start. Crank the engine with the starter for 30-45 seconds at a time, resting 1 minute between attempts. Repeat 4-5 times.

All of the oil is in the pan and this should prime the pump and circulate the oil.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Household Handyman

From the looks of your screen name, if you really do have a "Nomad" you are very lucky. I hope this is alright to post here: Being as you have a "Chevy muscle car" I highly recommend that you look into a website: www.ChevyTalk.com. I also have two older Chevy's and this is an excellent site for asking any question and to get great advice.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine sitting start