Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Transmission stop leak?

95 Mercury Villager, 135k miles. Small leak where the tranny mates to the engine. A few drops when I stop. Does tranny stop leak work? Which is best? Thanks.

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Transmission stop leak?

Ayuh,.... Sounds like the main front seal is Gone,...

Stop-leak is better at gettin' yer money outa yer wallet, than it is at stoppin' leaks...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-26-2012), rusty baker (12-02-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Transmission stop leak?

I suspect you are correct. Seal drips but tranny is smooth shifting. My silhouette was totaled and the villager was the "best" $1500 minivan I could find on short notice. Even had $100 left frm the insurance.

Hmmm..... $400 I figure to replace a dripping seal. Or $7 for the magic tranny sauce. maybe that and the power of prayer!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 24

Transmission stop leak?

I bought a Ford Windstar with 54,999 all original miles for $1350.00 cash. Not a thing wrong. Love those types of deals.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #5

Transmission stop leak?

well, if the main seal is leaking, it will leak oil, not transmission fluid. I spoke.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

Transmission stop leak?

There's a seal where the torque converter connects to the transmission. Agree with Bondo, transmission stop leak rarely works.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #7

Transmission stop leak?

Worse, you are adding something designed to gunk up, that is just not good for the internals. That stuff runs all through the tranny and if it hangs in the valve body, your well shifting transmission will have a new problem.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

Transmission stop leak?

Must be the torque converter/AT seal. Definitely AT fluid seepage. I am skeptical of and fix-in-a-bottle. Replacing this gasket would be rather expensive, I wager. Reviews on amazon of this stuff are positive, with caveats. This is not a sealer, but rather a softener that causing gaskets to swell and reseal.

Lucas makes one brand. Might give it a try.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

Transmission stop leak?

Never use that crap if you have ever taken a tranny apart that had it in you would see all the seals are turned to mush. It a temporary fix at best. If its coming out of the bell housing. It is most likely the converter seal. I would clean it all real good and add some uv dye to find the leak oil has a tendency to spread all over making it hard to pinpoint accurately
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Transmission stop leak?

I also agree- stay away from it. Its like those ac system stop leak products. Work for a while, but man, dont ever open up that ac system!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 144

Transmission stop leak?

If it's only a few drops.....don't worry about it right now.....but I would have a look under the carriage and make sure you don't have an 'oil spill' moving down the bottom of the car.

I think the going rate for replacing just the front seal in a tranny is around $250.....almost all of that is labor....you can buy a lot of transmisson fluid for that.

What you have to decide is how long you want to keep the van.....if it's a long time....get it fixed....if your only looking at another year or two....leave it....

And do NOT put anything in there....all it will do is keep leaking and screw of the tranny.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #12

Transmission stop leak?

I had my91 Silhouette for ten years and would still be driving it except for the 2000 Volvo S70 that ran off the road and totaled it. I will have this Villager at least as long, I hope. Other than the tranny leak and bad rear shocks it's in pretty good shape. Me, the wife and the four kids are going be in it for awhile.

I will probably get the seal done in the spring. Seems a little too big for DYI.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

Transmission stop leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
There's a seal where the torque converter connects to the transmission. Agree with Bondo, transmission stop leak rarely works.
yes, but then it's not main seal. sorry.
Big, just add good bit of Lucas treatment. I had 91 Civic, bought for $250, that was leaking ATF everywhere (still doing 38 mpg) and that actually helped much. At some point, I think, I had most of ATF replaced with Lucas and was basically driving on it. Helped a lot with shifts also.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #14

Transmission stop leak?

I cleaned up everything I could reach and ran it a few days. The leak is from the oil seal where the passenger side half axle goes into the tranny. A lot to take apart to replace a five dollar seal.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 48

Transmission stop leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I cleaned up everything I could reach and ran it a few days. The leak is from the oil seal where the passenger side half axle goes into the tranny. A lot to take apart to replace a five dollar seal.
It only seems like alot the first time you do it. Remember to use jack stands. They will save your life.

r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote