Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Share |

Trailer Brakes NEED HELP plz

I have just installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller in my 2003 Chevy Avalanche. I used the harness that just plugs into the truck under the dash. When I connect the 7 blade RV plug from my trailer to the truck the LED light comes on the controller. I have tried to adjust the controller so the LED light turns from green to red and so forth. I was unable to get it adjusted so I had not brakes on the trailer. So what I did next was pulled the breakaway switch on the trailer to see if the brakes would lock up. The Breaks locked on the trailer. So I know the brakes are working so then I went back inside the truck and tried to adjust the controller and to my surprise the LED turn red so I was able to now adjust the controller. So off I went around the block to adjust the controller so the braking power was good everything seemed fine. The next morning when we were to leave I had no trailer brakes. Now when I pull the breakaway switch the brakes are not working and I cannot adjust the controller now. Can anyone give me any ideas? I am going on another trip in a few days and the closes shop cannot get me in for a week. SO IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY IDEAS THEY WOULD BE MOSTLY APPRECIATED. THANKS.

Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

I have a tek. controller also and if I remember correctly, it was pretty important to mount it level. Also there are several different power levels to set it on and only fine tune with the rheostat.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Household Handyman

I'm not trying to be a SA, just offer my advice: Does Tekonsha have a 1-800 number to call for tech help? Could you do a "Google" search for a way to contact Tekonsha for help before the shop can see you? I have a heavy trailer and a controller in my truck also so I feel that I know how imporant it is to have those trailer brakes working. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

I have had trouble with the connections on mine were the trailer plugs into the truck. I give it a shot of wd 40 (about the only thing I found this product useful for) plug and unplug the connection a few times. This usually takes care of the problem.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5

Post schematics, links, etc.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote