DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Automotive Repairs (http://www.diychatroom.com/f46/)
-   -   Are there any 97 Jetta Experts out there? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f46/there-any-97-jetta-experts-out-there-139809/)

crankbait09 04-09-2012 08:18 PM

Are there any 97 Jetta Experts out there?
 
I have posted this problem on the VWVortex forum but I am having no luck in getting any help or even a response.

I know that VW Jetta's are known to have window regulator problems.

We bought our 97 Jetta a few months back and it has some issues that we were/are aware of. Once being the window regulator.

We have a replacement regulator which works fine but I have NO CLUE how to install this thing. I have looked on youtube, posted questions for any detailed help someone could give, but no luck. I need to remove the regulator that is in place with the "used one that works".

I have checked my manual as well but without being able to see behind the inner door panel, I don't know what exactly I am unscrewing and what will be effected. I have no way of knowing what will be coming apart in the process.

I have the actual regulator, not attached to any of the window track.........can this be installed in place of the old one or does the whole thing have to be removed?

I am attaching a link to some photos of the part I have.

http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/y...w%20regulator/

Can anyone offer any help on this matter?

hyunelan2 04-09-2012 08:36 PM

I see it as you have two options.

1. Pay for 30 day subscription to Chiltons to get the repair manual: http://seo.chiltonsonline.com/Pub/DI...=Repair&b=7423
2. Go to the library (WHAT?!? Those still exist!) and look at the Chilton's manual for a '97 Jetta. You may get lucky and a local bookstore might even have one that is on the shelf and able to be referenced.

crankbait09 04-09-2012 08:47 PM

Will the Chiltons book differ from the Haynes manual I currently have?
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/242

I have never looked in a Chilton's before. Does it have more detail?

Marty1Mc 04-10-2012 05:56 AM

Your best option on any car you want to repair is to get a Factory Service Manual. The FSM's are far superior to any Chilton or Haynes. I won't even look at those any more. If you plan on keeping the car and doing the work on it, get an FSM.

Here are a couple of links that might help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7870913_repl...996-jetta.html

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=100381


If the window is stuck in the up position, remove the door panel and cut the regulator cable. You'll probably have to replace it anyway.

crankbait09 04-10-2012 06:18 AM

thank you, I will look in to this further. I'd like to get this done this weekend.

Jackofall1 04-10-2012 06:25 AM

I know this is not the exact model but from my experience manufacturers don't vary much from model to model.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...-repair-VW.htm

DrHicks 04-16-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crankbait09 (Post 895444)
Will the Chiltons book differ from the Haynes manual I currently have?
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/242

I have never looked in a Chilton's before. Does it have more detail?

My experience is that Chiltons manuals are crap. I've used a lot of Haynes manuals, but have been really disappointed in the one for the old Volvo I bought.

Marty1Mc 04-17-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 900699)
My experience is that Chiltons manuals are crap. I've used a lot of Haynes manuals, but have been really disappointed in the one for the old Volvo I bought.


I completely agree on both Haynes and Chiltons. I had a Haynes for my Celica. To remove the transmission the manual states "remove everything from the transmission that keeps it attached." I thought, "that's real helpful".

I closed it, took it back and bought a Factory Service Manual set.

DrHicks 04-17-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty1Mc (Post 900762)
I completely agree on both Haynes and Chiltons. I had a Haynes for my Celica. To remove the transmission the manual states "remove everything from the transmission that keeps it attached." I thought, "that's real helpful".

I closed it, took it back and bought a Factory Service Manual set.

Exactly.

Honestly, I continue to find FAR more useful information on the internet than I've ever found in the manuals. Discussion forums for specific vehicles have been invaluable to me - especially for old odd-ball vehicles I've restored, like the old Volvo I'm currently in.

Marty1Mc 04-17-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 900783)
Exactly.

Honestly, I continue to find FAR more useful information on the internet than I've ever found in the manuals. Discussion forums for specific vehicles have been invaluable to me - especially for old odd-ball vehicles I've restored, like the old Volvo I'm currently in.

Yep, again agree. Forums are the BEST source for information on the planet. Just about every weird issue I have come across from cars, houses, to programming, computers, someone has run it before and solved it.

DrHicks 04-17-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty1Mc (Post 900788)
Yep, again agree. Forums are the BEST source for information on the planet. Just about every weird issue I have come across from cars, houses, to programming, computers, someone has run it before and solved it.

Forums and U-Pull-It Salvage Yards. :)

Billy_Bob 04-17-2012 11:06 AM

In addition to getting a Factory Service Manual (get ALL books, 4 very detailed books to set sometimes), go to a wrecking yard and find the same vehicle. See how that door panel comes apart.

crankbait09 04-17-2012 11:45 AM

That is a good point as well.

crankbait09 08-02-2012 01:38 PM

I did get my hands on a Bentley service manual for the Jetta and opened it up to the part that talks about the window regulator/motor. It shows which screws/bolts to take out but not much more detail other than that..... :huh:

The DIY videos that I see show replacing the regulator but I can find NOTHING on replacing only the motor........I don't want to ruin the whole track set up since I'm not familiar with the process. Which is why I'm trying to get a detailed video or something of that sort


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved