Temperature Control Sensor - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Temperature control sensor

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with over 150,000 miles on it. Last week on the way home, I noticed that the temperature gauge was buried in the high. It was a very cold windy day and I was getting no heat. I pulled over and called my husband. I noticed after I pulled over and put in in park that the temperature gauge went back down to c. My husband came and check the fluids. Everything seemed to be in order but he did add some more coolant. He drove it home. It went up to H one more time but then leveled out and he had heat. We had a shop replace the thermostat. But the truck is still doing the same thing. What else could the problem be besides the temperature control sensor?

Advertisement

Rindyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Ayuh,... A Blown Headgasket will do that...
It'll over pressurize the cooling system blowing out the fluid...
The cabin heater is the 1st place in the system to loose fluid, being the highest, hence, No heat...
If it were the cabin heat water control valve, the Temp Gauge wouldn't show any changes,...
You have a motor overheat situation, which is causing the loss of heat...

Is the fluid level changing in the reservoir,..??
Look for signs of antifreeze in the tailpipe/ exhaust stream...

Advertisement

Last edited by Bondo; 12-14-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

Check the oil? If it has a white, milky look, you have a blown head gasket, a cracked head or a cracked block.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with bondo. Even if your head gasket wasn’t blown, it likely is now after overheating the engine.
I would start by checking the oil for water. Next check the coolant for oil. Lastly perform a compression check. Also hold a rag over the tail pipe for a few minutes. Rev the engine a little bit. (just a little bit) remove the rag. Small the rag. Does it have that sweet antifreeze smell to it? you can also use a 5 gas analyzer held over the coolant overflow bottle to see it you can detect exhaust gas coming from the coolant bottle. I doubt you have that tool, but a well equipped garage would.

Why did you replace the thermostat? Was the engine overheating? Overheating an engine will cook the head gasket, so if it wasn't chowder before, it likely is now. Especially if it was overheated more than once.

Last edited by zackinma; 12-28-2009 at 04:33 PM.
zackinma is offline   Reply With Quote