Taking Off The Drive Shaft - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

taking off the drive shaft

Ok check it out. So I gotta have my buddy pull my truck with a tow rope to the next town where we are gonna change the engine. Tranny is automatic so I'm pulling off the driveshaft. I bought new u bolts for it and some grease to pack in the slip yolk on the tranny. I am getting a plastic bag to cover it and zip tie the bag tight so dirt and crap don't get in there. Same with the driveshaft. Now once I pull the driveshaft I wanna take the u bolts off and get all the rust off of the shaft and paint it black. Any reccomendations on getting all the dust off so the paint will stick? And is there a special paint for that? I ask cause I did that with my rusted ass tail pipes and I used high temp automotive paint and 6 months later it looked like garbage again...

Advertisement

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Clean it well knocking off all the dirt....then wash it with Simple Green....rinse real well....

Let it dry....and I mean....like a day or so...

The paint it with rattle can...like rustolium.....

The paint came off your tail pipe because it gets hot...don't worry about it....when it comes time to replace the pipes, they will use aluminized steal.....problem solved.

If you need a reference for a muffler shop and your near Torrance....let me know....I know a guy that won't do you wrong.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Clean it well knocking off all the dirt....then wash it with Simple Green....rinse real well....

Let it dry....and I mean....like a day or so...

The paint it with rattle can...like rustolium.....

The paint came off your tail pipe because it gets hot...don't worry about it....when it comes time to replace the pipes, they will use aluminized steal.....problem solved.

If you need a reference for a muffler shop and your near Torrance....let me know....I know a guy that won't do you wrong.
Damn, I moved to Idaho from Torrance last November! I want my tail pipes black and I used high temperature paint like I would use on a furnace vent... Now the tailpipe has rust on it would that be one reason it came off?
thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

You need to change the location in your profile....and...Idaho puts salt on the roads...not a whole lot to save the undercarriage.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

The high temp paints have more ceramics in them if memory serves me correctly but they are much finikier in terms of application and bonding.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote