Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Pretending to be Retired

Rewards Points: 75

Synthetic Oil & Grease

I saw a thread where synthetic oil was mentioned, and it got me wondering. How many of you out there in forum land use synthetics in either oil or greases?

If the manufacturer of a engine says regular Dino oil is all you really need, why change to synthetics? If you are the type of person who trades cars every few years, why bother with the use of the more expensive oils? Do you recycle the synthetics the same way as you would for regular oils?

Car engines are getting better and better all the time. When I was a teen, when we would change the oil at 1000 miles it would be black and nasty smelling. Now, my Honda CRV has a oil change minder that has come on and tells me it is OK to change oil at an average of 13,000 miles!!!

So....Why use synthetics?

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Synthetic Oil & Grease

I am a Mechanic wih 50 years experience. In my opinion Syntehtic would be desireable in extreme driving conditions. Extremely hot, extrenely cold.
I differ from the vast majority of people in that after 10 or 12K miles, I would not switch to synthetic. The different oils have different "oil seal swell properties" and I will not take a chance. Lots of people do and have no problems.

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 510

Synthetic Oil & Grease

My personal opinion is that I like to change my oil more often than I would to see the benefit of synthetics. Sure, they don't break-down as fast and have lubricating qualities that last longer, but gunk in the oil is gunk in the oil. Change it regularly to get all the crud out of the engine and move on.

I might feel different if I put it in a 500hp Corvette or something, but for my normal, everyday cars regular-old dino oil works well for me.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Synthetic Oil & Grease

since Ford decided that synthetic is the only spec'd lube for my differential, I have to run synthetic. I use synthetic in my engines due to their life. I tend to get lazy sometimes and do not change as often as I should. I like the safety margin the synthetic gives me.

I also hang on to my vehicles until they are no longer operable. I cannot compare synthetic to non-synthetic (that would be impossible because each engine is different) so I cannot say synthetic has extended the life of the engines, I can say the engines are generally not the reason the cars are retired.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

Synthetic Oil & Grease

CR-V says 13 000 miles? when did they change this?
anyhow. i do amsoil only. used to do royal purple, but it's a better product.
i change oil in my wife's RX3-- about every 12 000 miles, maybe 15 000 miles. it comes out cheaper - and better running engine - than doing conventional changes every 5K.
i do my silverado oil changes about the same - 15K.
i do synthetic oils exclusively on any non-oil taking engine we have. they simply run better.
you need to read this:

http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Pretending to be Retired

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
CR-V says 13 000 miles? when did they change this?
anyhow. i do amsoil only. used to do royal purple, but it's a better product.
i change oil in my wife's RX3-- about every 12 000 miles, maybe 15 000 miles. it comes out cheaper - and better running engine - than doing conventional changes every 5K.
i do my silverado oil changes about the same - 15K.
i do synthetic oils exclusively on any non-oil taking engine we have. they simply run better.
you need to read this:

http://www.zag.si/~jank/public/bmw/oil_bible.pdf

That has been the average mileage when the oil life maintenance reminder display shows 10% oil life is left. The maintenance reminder also shows when a filter needs changing, and tire rotation times are up.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigD9 For This Useful Post:
ukrkoz (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,020

Synthetic Oil & Grease

It came off the line with it, so I still run synthetic in our 'vette, but disregard the stupid maintenance reminder, and shoot for about 3,000 mile oil changes. Not sure what it would cost to replace that engine, but I've worked too hard to have it, so will do as they recommend, i.e. synthetic oil. As for my pickup and the wife's car, I still shoot for 3,000 mile intervals, which means that my truck may go close to 5,000 miles every once in a while, but use regular, non-synthetic oil in them. I am old school though, so as Giles mentioned, if I was going to run synthetic in anything else, it would be from day one, as I do not believe that running one kind for a while, and then another, is a good thing; too many things that could go wrong with seals, bearings, etc.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Blackstone. will test your used oil and make scientific recommendations about change interval.

I'm all synthetic all the time - but I never let cars go.... our Volvo 240 DL (1986) has had synthetic in it since it's first oil change and has over 450K miles on it now. When I've bought used cars, I have picked ones with documented use of synthetic over ones without.

Also, since ya'll know I'm not exactly the queen of checking my oil........ I thought I'd let you know that the Subaru is back in my paddock and it will have a syn-blend of break-in oil for the first 5000 miles, then back to synthetic.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #9

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD9 View Post
That has been the average mileage when the oil life maintenance reminder display shows 10% oil life is left. The maintenance reminder also shows when a filter needs changing, and tire rotation times are up.

what year is it? curious.

reason being, when i bought my 2004 CR-V, it still was recommended 3000 miles oil changes. at that point in time, i had to drive average 1000 miles a week. accordingly, oil changes every 3-4 weeks.
what was my relief, when i discovered royal purple - and switched to 10 000 miles changes!
hence my curiosity.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #10

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
our Volvo 240 DL (1986) has had synthetic in it since it's first oil change and has over 450K miles on it now.
oh, wow!! that's a lot of miles on first oil change. what brand is it?
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:

ok, so they do not have maintenance schedule, but a magic light that tells you when to do it and, better so, when Honda thinks it's time to do it?

Depending on your mix of city and highway driving, you can expect it to take 8000 miles to possibly as much as 15,000 miles. I'd guess that the typical interval is 12,000 miles. But it's not clear what parameter Honda uses to adjust the mileage interval. IF it's just engine operating hours, miles, engine load, RPM's, # of starts???
Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Synthetic Oil & Grease

I use regular oil in our cars,, and change it about every 6000 miles or when the oil minder comes on, whichever is first. Never had much use for synthetic
oil, mainly because of price. We had an 88 Buick that had 340,000 miles on it using regular oil. It ran like a charm in extreme cold..-10F to 90F. It would have gotten more miles, but we got a new car.
To me synthetic oil is just a gimmick to extract more money from our wallets.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Pretending to be Retired

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
ok, so they do not have maintenance schedule, but a magic light that tells you when to do it and, better so, when Honda thinks it's time to do it?

Depending on your mix of city and highway driving, you can expect it to take 8000 miles to possibly as much as 15,000 miles. I'd guess that the typical interval is 12,000 miles. But it's not clear what parameter Honda uses to adjust the mileage interval. IF it's just engine operating hours, miles, engine load, RPM's, # of starts???
Also number of cold starts, average oil temperature, humidity. At least that is what I have been told. Its a 2009 Honda CRV AWD. If you reset the reminder to early you will loose the codes that tell you when its time to perform other maintenance like rear differential oil changes (very very important in the CRV) brake and antifreeze change times.

I wish it did have a maintenance schedule. (Actually I have one courtesy of another forum for everything but the oil)

Funny thing when we bought it, the saleslady insisted we follow the maintenance reminder, and the shop foreman agreed, but we keep getting discount coupons for oil changes saying how important 3000 mile changes are!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Synthetic Oil & Grease

I started using synthetic in a car once when I was young and eager .... a car I bought w/ 46K miles on it .... a car that had been using regular oil prior to meting me ...... a domestic car!!!! That's the last time I'll ever do that. Remember synthetic is finer and gets into places dino oil can't ..... let's just say it was valve cover gasket time and a bunch of other stuff somewhat soon after!

I use syntetic in the BMW because it calls for it. I do, however change it every 7500 instead of the 15K miles that BMW recommends (it just helps me sleep better)
I use regular in my wife's Toyota because it's free
I use regular in my volvo because it had 60K when we got it and had never used it. It has 125K now and deserves oil every 3K
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 510

Synthetic Oil & Grease

Quote:
Funny thing when we bought it, the saleslady insisted we follow the maintenance reminder, and the shop foreman agreed, but we keep getting discount coupons for oil changes saying how important 3000 mile changes are!
Contrary to some common beliefs, dealer's don't make a lot of money from selling new cars. They make a lot of their money from servicing them. Open the owner's manual of your car, it will have manufacturer recommended oil change interval information in it. Usually this interval is much longer than the dealer tells you. The dealer's service department wants you in the door more frequently. If you go the recommended 7500 miles between oil changes, that's only 2 oil changes in 15K miles, where they could be billing you for 5 oil changes if you go in every 3K miles.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote