Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Synthetic oil changes

I use synthetic oil in my Camry because I put about 2500 miles a month on my car and I like being able to change my oil every 4 months instead of every month and a half. Someone told me that I should use natural oil every 3 or 4 changes because they have additives that clean the engine that synthetics don't have. I can't find anything to support this and I believe he was getting oil and fuel confused. Anyhow, has anybody else heard this or am I correct to assume I can continue to use synthetic with no issues.

leonuug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Synthetic oil changes

The following site has all sorts of stuff on oil. If you don't find it, you can ask there. This guy seems to devote his every waking moment to oil!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Here is a sample...

ZDP depletion and GM oil life monitor...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=130036

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

Synthetic oil changes

You are correct. Keep using synthetic.

You hear people say if you use conventional oil, you can't switch to synthetic, and vice versa. There are others, as you pointed out, that recommend you switch it up. Do not listen to them.

Last edited by Jay 78; 02-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

Synthetic oil changes

1. buy GOOD synthetic (amsoil is my choice)
2. Mobil1 filter
3. go to W-mart and buy 4qrt jar of cheapest oil possible in 5W20
4. buy can of SeafoaM
5. pour Seafom into crankcase and drive for about 500 miles
6. drain oil
7. refill with W-mart oil, run engine for about 15 minutes, occasionally revving to 2-3 000RPMs and holding there; this is your flush oil
8. drain flush oil(it will come out pitch black, yes)
9. replace filter and refill with fresh oil.

I put 54 000 miles year one on my CR-V, that's when I either had to do oil changes every other week, or look into alternatives. I started with Royal Purple, but switched to Amsoil. Amsoil is very cost efficient, if bought in pales online. Is guaranteed for 25 000 miles use, if you can mentally stomach this.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Synthetic oil changes

Thank you for the replies.
I actually used to flush my engine oil every once in a while when I was single and oil was about a buck a quart. It's amazing how much leftover dirty oil is in the engine when you change the oil. It's hard to pay for 4 quarts of oil just to flush it now with oil prices the way they are, although I may splurge and do it once before summer hits. I will deff be using Wally world oil for the flush.
I currently use Mobil 1, is Amsoil much better in quality?
I just saw the video about Seafoam spray for the intake. WOW I can't wait to get my hands on a can of that!
Bob's oil website is now in my Favorites menu, thank you!

Last edited by leonuug; 02-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
bbo

Synthetic oil changes

unless I was going to do oil analysis and try to extend my OCI (Oil change interval) I wouldn't bother with the Amsoil. thats just me though. I use mobil 1 myself ( truck and SUV diesel for my diesel CRD and just normal synthetic mobil 1 for my gassers )

I've use seafam in the past, but other than the fun smoke factor, I haven't noticed any gains, real or imagined, myself.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

Synthetic oil changes

I bought a Corvette (C4 model) that came with synthetic (Mobil 1) from the factory and never had a problem, so I continued to use it.

I bought a 1999 Jimmy that apparently was owned and maintained by GM corporate (not a dealer) that was sold at 24,500 miles and I now have 165,000 on it and was not dumb enough to re-invent the wheel and continued to use Mobil 1. When I needed a change, my mechanic (2 man shop) said he did not stock Mobil 1, but said I should do what he does for his collector 1962 split window Corvette and and buys a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart. Now, I go in for a change with a jug and a filter in the back and he changes the oil and filter and he just takes them does what is necessary for $8 or $10 (I can't remember the details). When I come in at 7500 miles his right hand man asks why I wanted to drain out the clean oil and replace, but that is because he just works there and does not own the car. I have no qualms about hopping into my car and taking a 4,000 trip without any changes or preparation.

Oil is not expensive and the important thing is to do the routine stuff.

I do use Seafoam periodically in my fuel and it seems to keep everything clean and working properly. I don't think it is a cure-all, but it seems to help.

I don't know it it is the oil or additives, but I am not changing because it works and is cheap in the end. - My friend in Switzerland has an older Mercedes with 500,000 miles on it and has not had a problem, but that is a different animal (engine precision and cost wise).

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Synthetic oil changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonuug View Post
I use synthetic oil in my Camry because I put about 2500 miles a month on my car and I like being able to change my oil every 4 months instead of every month and a half. Someone told me that I should use natural oil every 3 or 4 changes because they have additives that clean the engine that synthetics don't have. I can't find anything to support this and I believe he was getting oil and fuel confused. Anyhow, has anybody else heard this or am I correct to assume I can continue to use synthetic with no issues.
First of all, you'll find endless argument in the synthetic vss dino oil debate. If you like synthetic - like I do - go with it.

That said, don't bother using dino oil periodically. That's a dumb rumor. Change your oil regularly, and always use a good filter.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-03-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Synthetic oil changes

Forget seafoam, just use a quality oil and change at regular intervals. The major oil companies all make good oil. http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html.

I have been a BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG) member since 2003 and I've done a number of oil analyses on my cars. For my driving regime, synthetic does not make sense unless I get a super great deal on it. I do lots of short trips which leads to TBN (total base number) depletion on conventional or synthetic alike and so I get little benefit from syn. My analysis results are roughly equal on conventional or synthetic.

However, in situations like the OPs, he may derive benefit from using syn, especially a high TBN oil like Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Pennzoil Ultra or Amsoil Signature Series. Start with one of those three going 6 or 7000 and follow up with an oil analysis, and extend further on an on-condition basis.

Oh and with my 5000 mile changes on conventional, my 65,000 mile engine looks brand new under the valve cover, no sludge, varnish or even discoloration to speak of. Conventional oils are far, far better than they used to be.

Last edited by brons2; 02-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,238

Synthetic oil changes

I have one that has synthetic in it. I see no advantage. It had synthetic when I bought it and don't want to change now. All the rest (four) have regular oil and one has 400,000 miles on it.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Synthetic oil changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
It had synthetic when I bought it and don't want to change now
Why? There is no harm in doing so. I have switched back and forth between conventional and synthetic on just about every car I've ever had, with no ill effects.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brons2 For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Synthetic oil changes

If you have been using synthetic, keep using it. IMO, no sense going back and forth.

I've never done a flush before, used Seafoam once. I use Mobil 1 in our cars and it works well for us.
Matco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #13

Synthetic oil changes

Well there seem to be endless amounts of opinions, lol. It appears that the conclusion that I can take away from all your comments is to make sure I just change the damn oil. haha. I go twice as long with Mobil 1 than I do with conventional so it's worth it for me. My car is low mile (130,000) so I'm yet to get a conclusion, but I can't imagine that using Mobil 1 with a Fram oil filter will have any negative effects. It is awesome to hear what everybody says about oil though. Surprisingly, my wife gets bored when I try to talk to her about oil science, so I'm glad you guys like to talk about it
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Learning Things Every Day

Synthetic oil changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonuug View Post
just change the damn oil.
At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

People are just as opinionated when it comes to filters, too.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #15

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

Synthetic oil changes

Most people do not own or drive cars long enough to evaluate the differences in the newer engines with long lives.

I jst prefer to continue what had been used, since changing with a cheap oil really does not save money unless I want to use the savings to buy some spray to make my tires look better.

There is no question that the high performance cars that run for money or pride usually depend on synthetics even if they get them for free.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote