Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Synthetic Oil and the change oil light

I drive on average roughly 60,000 miles per year for my job. To keep my truck in good shape (Toyota Tacoma), I change my oil between 3000 and 5000 miles. I know when synthetic oil, I should be able to go further. The second I hit 5000 miles since I changed my oil, my change oil light came on. I reset it. Will it come back on if my oil is dirty since I reset it? Or will it go another 5000 miles and then automatically come on? I know I should be able to go 10 or 12 thousand with synthetic oil. I'm curious how the truck reacts though. For instance, if using regular oil, my lights comes on at 4500 or so. If I reset it without changing my oil, will it come right back on?

chadjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

looks like the light is strictly mileage based on a search of tacomaworld forum.

only way to know for sure about oil age intervals is to get an oil analysis. I've done one for my oil-burner jeep and it looked like it could go about 9k, but I do the 6250 interval change.

you can probably just keep resetting it whenever you change oil and it should go the 4500 to start flashing, the another 500 for solid.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,972

Mileage based.

Depending on what synthetic you are running, get some oil analysis done and see what it looks like at 5,000 miles.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

If you are running fully synthetic oil your good for 7,000 to 10,000 the miles between changes.
The indicator on the dash does not know how clean or dirty your oil is. As stated it's milage based.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

On a tight engine and with Amsoil, my Silverado easily did 15 000 miles and could do more, and wife's Lexus RX300 does same or better. You are greatly underestimating good synthetic oil capabilities.
Also, Amsoil is the only one that guarantees 25 000 miles.
Don't worry about dumm light.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

The change oil light is pretty good these days but still does not actually check the oil condition. It's purely based on driving conditions such as warm up times, stop and go vs. highway driving, etc. By resetting it you told it you did an oil change.
I had a Honda Civic that did 100% highway driving 60 each every day. My oil change interval was over 10k miles and did not need to add oil between the change intervals. If you go that far check the oil level every 1000 miles or so to make sure you're not running low. Which synthetic are you using?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 520

synth can go to 12-15,000 miles. Up to about 1 year. BMW is ok with this schedule. I am too.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

If you go extended mileage just make sure yo use an extended mileage filter. Cheap filters plug up and fall apart inside and just run through the bypass. And be sure to check your oil it will use some oil as it ages.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks
synth can go to 12-15,000 miles. Up to about 1 year. BMW is ok with this schedule. I am too.
12-15 thousand miles in one year would be awesome. I put 15,000 miles on in less than 6 weeks.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 726

Engine oil can be a critical factor in extreme operations such as racing but has very little impact on regular day to day use toward performance or longevity. The only valid reason to ever change your oil is to remove contaminants that have built up. Paying a fortune for the best oil on the market then dumping it out is silly. Sure the oil may be guaranteed for 25000 miles but you can't leave all that contamination in there that long...can you?

I use what ever is on sale and change it when it gets dirty. Miles and months are not part of the equation.
cjm94 (09-21-2013), rusty baker (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Engine oil can be a critical factor in extreme operations such as racing but has very little impact on regular day to day use toward performance or longevity. The only valid reason to ever change your oil is to remove contaminants that have built up. Paying a fortune for the best oil on the market then dumping it out is silly. Sure the oil may be guaranteed for 25000 miles but you can't leave all that contamination in there that long...can you?

I use what ever is on sale and change it when it gets dirty. Miles and months are not part of the equation.
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this...
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this...
I was thinking the same thing! I just didn't want to be rude. Cheap engine oil isn't the same as good engine oil. Polecat's not too bright.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjohnston View Post
I was thinking the same thing! I just didn't want to be rude. Cheap engine oil isn't the same as good engine oil. Polecat's not too bright.
Oh believe me, what I replied with was the LEAST rude thing I was thinking.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

Ok, I had an engine oil analysis done after 10,000 miles and I had very low insoluble count, viscosity was the same as I originally put in, no fuel contamination, and good air and oil filtration. They recommended I go 15,000 miles on the next change and then test again.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 520

Most of what polecat said is true. One thing he said I wouldnt do: buy whatever is on "sale". You have to pay attention to the grade of oil you buy, Pole!! otherwise, your points have merit. Look for the latest/highest API rating. Brands dont matter. Specifications do.

Oil analysis? I was gonna say dont waster youre $$.

And the 25,000 mile guarantee? Marketing, people. Cheap guarantee. How would one dispute that? Evidence would be hard to present in court. Pure marketing gimmick- dont fall for it.