Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Gaz

Rewards Points: 10

Switchboard installation

Hello,
I have a small switchboard that I want to install into my boat and run it with a car battery. I'm not sure what go's where, I have attached two photos of the switchboard. I plan to run a light, bilge pump my nav lights.
Can anyone help me out?
Attached Images

Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,032

Switchboard installation

The power from the battery goes to the single terminal at the top, and the 3 wires at the bottom feed the individual circuits. But first, you need check that it is rated for marine use, and that its' ampacity, per circuit and combined, is sufficient for the devices that it will supply.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Gaz

Rewards Points: 10

Switchboard installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII
The power from the battery goes to the single terminal at the top, and the 3 wires at the bottom feed the individual circuits. But first, you need check that it is rated for marine use, and that its' ampacity, per circuit and combined, is sufficient for the devices that it will supply.

Thanks for your reply,
I bought the switchboard from a boat supply shop and as for the amps it is all sufficient.
I'm assuming positive would go to the top terminal but what about negative?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,032

Switchboard installation

Yes, the positive lead from the battery goes to the top lead on the board, the negative terminal or ground on each device goes back the negative terminal of the battery, and none of these terminals should come in contact with any component of your boat.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote