Squeeky Pulley Or Belt - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

squeeky pulley or belt

I'm not sure what's really goin on but something is squeeking under the hood. The sound is coming from near the alternator but the tensioner pulley is right under it. How do I know which one it is? The car is a 91 dodge dynasty

Advertisement

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

squeeky pulley or belt

Got a long bladed screwdriver?
Use it like a stethoscope.

When the last time you replaced the belt?

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

squeeky pulley or belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehvacguy View Post
I'm not sure what's really goin on but something is squeeking under the hood. The sound is coming from near the alternator but the tensioner pulley is right under it. How do I know which one it is? The car is a 91 dodge dynasty
Take the belt loose and spin each pulley to identify any noisy or wobbly ones. Run the engine for a few minutes first and also check for any temperature deviations on each pulley. IF the engine has a timing belt as well, then I would run it without the steering/alternator/ac belt briefly to see if the noise continued. If so, bad news. It's in the timing belt pulleys and you need experience to solve that.
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Still Learning

squeeky pulley or belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a long bladed screwdriver?
Use it like a stethoscope.

When the last time you replaced the belt?
I just bought the car yesterday for $400 cause I don't feel like dropping an engine in my truck just yet
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 546

squeeky pulley or belt

Well, not sure on screwdriver, but a long piece of garden hose does make excellent stethoscope. Also, belts normally do not squeek with engine at idle. They do under tension, at start ups and load. Likely pulley. So - hose it is. Or, if you feel lucky, a screwdriver.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

squeeky pulley or belt

Have used a screwdriver for 50 years.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

squeeky pulley or belt

With the engine OFF and the key OUT, try this: Get a bar of "Lava" branded soap. Rub this Lava soap onto the inside of the serpentine belt everywhere you can get to it. Then start the engine and let it run a few minutes. IF the squeak stops, or is not as bad, you most likely have a belt that needs to be replaced.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

squeeky pulley or belt

You can always tell how well a car has been maintained by how clean it is under the hood. What does yours look like? If it looks like indifferent maintenance through the years, perform all the routine tasks and clean it up really good. It might be something as simple as that.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

squeeky pulley or belt

so it is squaking. That is terrible. Pop the hood and spray part by part with a hose. If it changes then you have an idea bearing or belt. If you were to lazy to fix your truck, I do not see you pulling the belt like Volvo mentions. I have a broom stick I use to listen to cars, I had a heater off blow off in my face and never put my face to close to an engine
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
Still Learning

squeeky pulley or belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
so it is squaking. That is terrible. Pop the hood and spray part by part with a hose. If it changes then you have an idea bearing or belt. If you were to lazy to fix your truck, I do not see you pulling the belt like Volvo mentions. I have a broom stick I use to listen to cars, I had a heater off blow off in my face and never put my face to close to an engine
You arrogant bastard! I love my truck and I poured my heart and soul into big bertha. I bought it from a tweaker and replaced EVERYTHING under the hood except for the engine. Now I'm driving some piece of **** car with the window that fell off into the door. Every Damn Gasket is leaking oil and if I drive it to the point that the engine gets warm it starts smoking from the oil burning on the exhaust manifold. This is a front wheel drive vehicle and I'm not a mechanic. I do HVAC and plumbing 60 hours a week so before you call me lazy again you can go shuv a pain roller up your Ass and watch paint dry you prick

Advertisement