Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: HOW DID YOU APPLY TRUCK BEDLINER?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
HOW DID YOU APPLY TRUCK BEDLINER?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Brainbucket

Old 02-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Cool

Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds

Spray-Lining & Coatings, SLC114AS is awesome coating & truck bed liner. My partner & I own 7 old pickup trucks. All run good but 2009-2014, all over 100k mi & truckbeds were beat to hell. Same polyurea professional (Jeff R) who used polyurea called SPI jumped ship to Spray-Lining & Coatings. After seeing my truck projects & koi pond he got small qty 1st. He claimed SLC sprays thru his Graco equipment easier, its tougher & less $. We sprayed full exterior & beds of all 7 pickups. Took photos, 1 tinted red. He works with Tim Zuber who also sprays SPI polyurea onto geo-textile in large ponds and lakes. These guys all use High Pressure Graco polyurea equipment but I use this Backpack system. Tank is on a backpack with hose to this adjustable gun. We contacted SLC about being a dealer. If this guy Jeff R, Tim Zuber (or whoever) didn't become an SLC dealer here we'd have gone into it. We're curious how many in DIYchatroom used Spray-Lining & Coatings' dealers or their DIY stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds-slc-most-trk.jpg   Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds-did-ext-good-trk.jpg   Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds-bedlinerslc.jpg   Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds-ourtrailerfloor.jpg  

Advertisement

jerrydelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,824

Re: Spray-on Lining Coatings Truck Beds

It's easier, and less costly to hire the pro that has the equipment.

And you get a better coating.

ED
lenaitch likes this.

Advertisement

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 786

i would try to find factory drop-in bedliner at scrap yards, i have one in my 2002 gmc that has haul at types of material (wood, steel plates, chains,...) and it is almost still in perfect condition, no spray liners could take that beating
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

Ed - respectfully you're almost 100% wrong- I pay $78 per bed with Spray-Lining & Coatings SLC114AS using this spray gun they loaned me- http://www.spray-lining.com/equipment.php - Price in my area for a Spray-Lined, Coated by Line-X or Rhino = $575. Most DIY'ers here appear quite skilled. You are correct that most DIY Spray-in bedliners are junk. Except for SLC, Als & Raptor all are 1-part urethane with dollar store roller that claim 1 gallon or less to cover a bed. its misrepresentation bc 1 gallon weather real polyurea or crap wont be enough to create thickness of over approx 90 mil. SPI (specialty products in) is top shelf polyurea but the DIY spray-lining from SLC was better according to 2 (spi) pro's. As for Mr Carmusic, great & cheap idea, but if an old drop in suffices you're a lightweight in the bed (pardon the pun). Any report on Spray-Lining VS drop-in proves that. Also drop ins destroy paint & create rust. In any case we'd all learn from this same report I found in this same forum: Polyurea Report For Ponds
jerrydelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 884

I don't know how many cars and trucks I've scrapped but almost every time, not every time, they flip the truck over, those spray liners fall out and the bottom was nothin but rust. Now the I'm not sayin yours will end up that way as I'm sure the spray on liners have gotten better and the prep has also gotten better. I'm kinda lookin into it as I'm building a 83 GMC and puttin a 2014 Camaro in it. Engine and tranny, interior and all. It even has HUDS. My bed is kinda beat up and that would be the cheapest way to mend it. Idk though. It's beat bad. Might just get a bed. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,196

I've had a few trucks with the drop in poly liners and all of them developed rust in the box, much more so than when I just had a bare metal box. My current '08 is my first experience with an after-market spray liner and I figure it is the best money I have ever spent. I doubt it would "fall out" since it is bonded to the metal.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 212

my '12 Ram was sprayed and I'm very glad I had it done. It was after factory and dealership threw it in as part of my package that I negotiated
Flyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,558

There are some higher end DIY coatings, but the ones that are store bought are crap.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
There are some higher end DIY coatings, but the ones that are store bought are crap.
Which is prolly the ones falling out that I witnessed. This was around Katrina time, not lately. I don't know all that much about it. I thinking about weight as I building a hot rod.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,294

We had drop in liners on some trucks down in Florida. Always beach sand would work its way under the liner in various places and scratch up the paint... then rust, of course. Had it to do over I'd probably do a spray in liner and have a look at SLC.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 514

Those trucks look great Jerry. I gave my son a gift certificate for bed lining. I was asking the fellow at the shop about it and they said the liner they sprayed on goes on hot. National company, starts with an L. Wonder how the hot mix vs the mix you used differs

Advertisement

Tags
polyurea for ponds , pond coating , spray-lining & coatings , spray-on bedliner