Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

spark issues

1987 dodge d150
I have replaced the ignition coil and the spark plugs have been changed, but there is still an intermittent spark problem. This truck won't start, I can crank for over an hour with no signs of ignition. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

CocayneKille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

spark issues

Also, what other components contribute to getting electricity to the spark plugs?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

spark issues

Spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Stator underneath distributor cap and rotor.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

spark issues

Is there spark at each plug.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

spark issues

There is no spark at all.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

spark issues

bad dizzy.
bad ECM
bad wires
all of the above.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #7

spark issues

I don't think that every wire would have spontaneously gone "bad" at the same time.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

spark issues

Starter? Ignition module if it has one?
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

spark issues

It will crank and crank, but not make a sound like it is trying to fire. Doesn't the cranking mean the starter is working?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

spark issues

Will have to look into the possibility of an ignition module issue, not sure if it has one.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #11

spark issues

http://www.ifitjams.com/starting.htm

Have at it. You either do not have fuel, or do not have spark, or fuel and spark, or plugs are fouled bad with fuel, result of having too much fuel.
If it cranks, then starter works. I had a car, Eclipse, where all 4 wires went bad.
So if starter works, it's either spark or fuel. Or both, which is ECM. As it controls BOTH.
Follow the flow chart for starters.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
JOATMON

spark issues

87? Then it still has a resistor for the ignition....

Back to basics......

Use a voltmeter and measure on the Pos side of the coil. With the ignition on you should have about 12v. If not, start going backwards.

And....tell us what you did before you got the start problem.

BTW....if you can crank for an hour and nothing happens....this is not an intermittent starting problem...this is a NO START problem.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #13

spark issues

Lol I say this issue is intermittent because everyday it starts. Sometimes it will start with the first or two, other times in the same day it will crank for long periods with no sound like it is trying to fire. Also, I don't believe I mentioned that sometimes it will run fine for the 5 to 10 then it will start having pop back (most irritating when trying to go up a highway hill, no enough constant power to gain any speed while it is popping back)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #14

spark issues

This truck is fairly new to me, I have not done anything to it that isn't mentioned on here (I don't think I have anyways). The first couple weeks there was no sign of any issues with this truck. Then one day on my lunch break, I get out to the truck and try to start it, did not have any luck for that entire hour. Some days it fires with no sign of an issue, other days, as stated several times now, it doesn't seen to want to fire for extended periods of time. My brother used his spark tester and we have got a definitive answer that, while it is having this issue, there is no spark. I'm 100% convinced that the issue is not fuel related because I have replaced the fuel pump and filter. I have pumped the pedal enough to where I can angel the gas, so I no there is fuel getting to the engine.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #15

spark issues

If there is something more on the information side that could help you help me diagnose this truck, let me know what else I might be able to provide. Also, if the sentences seem unorganized or incomplete, I blame my phones auto-correct. It is annoying sometimes.