Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Stairguy

Share |

Silverado humming noise

I have a 2000 silverado 4wd. I was getting a humming noise from what sounds like the front end (hard to tell). I can hear it best when on the highway at about 65mph. I notice it more when i let off the gas, although I think it still remains while giving it gas. The noise does not go away when I swerve from side to side. I thought it might be wheel bearing but I wasnt sure what side. I bought a new one and put it on the drivers side. The noise remained so I put it on passenger side and that didnt help either. If it is not wheel bearing, what else could it be? The sound it makes is like driving down the highway with huge tires on.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

Silverado humming noise

Sounds like a front diff going out

D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Stairguy

Silverado humming noise

is there any way to diagnose this problem?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Silverado humming noise

You sort of already did, you narrowed out bearings, tires make noise regardless of pedal load, front diff whines differently under load and no load. Try shifting into 4wd and see what the noise does, see if it changes. It may be best to take it to a shop so they can drive it up on a rack and listen from under the vehicle. A front diff rebuilt probably isn't cheap. You can have a fluid service done, see if any nasty metal pieces and stuff comes out. it has a magnet on it to catch pieces (i think)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

Silverado humming noise

hey, i have same noise! have 2000 Silverado LT extended cab. it does not humm all the time, but does it after extended drives. humm comes somewhere from right below the front row seats. it's faint and is irrelevant to RPMs. it comes driving or now, so diff theory is not working. you can sit in P and step out and hear it.
to me, it sounds like a pump working. whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. the only thing that is in that area is transmission. i had this asked about a year ago in Chevy forum, no one knows what it could be. it drives fine. i stopped paying attention to it.

maybe it is fuel pump working? also, there's some sort of a pump in transmission too.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Stairguy

Silverado humming noise

definitely not fuel pump. I just did it 2 years ago. Its inside the massive 33 gallon tank. im gonna check my gear oil in front differential tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

Silverado humming noise

keep in mind, mine does that humm driving or not. i can park, step out, and hear it. it is more pronounced on the driver side, right about where cab ends and bed starts. like i said, there are only transmission and fuel tank there. btw, fuel pump is all the way up in the tank, not buried inside of 27 gallons of gas. mine is 27, not 33.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Silverado humming noise

Maybe it hums, because it doesn't know the words.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #9

Silverado humming noise

i have enough words cometh out of my wife's mouth. lord save me from my truck start talking to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (06-18-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Silverado humming noise

So Millertyme, does it make the noise driving and sitting at idle?? or just driving, that will make a big difference where you look. Extended cab trucks have a 26-27 gallon tank, regular cab with long bed have 33-34 gallon tank.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Stairguy

Silverado humming noise

no it only makes the sound when i am going about 65. I hear it more when i let off the gas. As a matter of fact it seems to be getting quieter every day. Although I never really did anything...well i changed the wheel bearings on both sides and it didnt work. it still made the sound but now it seems to be slowly going away.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #12

Silverado humming noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
no it only makes the sound when i am going about 65. I hear it more when i let off the gas. As a matter of fact it seems to be getting quieter every day. Although I never really did anything...well i changed the wheel bearings on both sides and it didnt work. it still made the sound but now it seems to be slowly going away.

Have you just tried to rotate the tires to narrow that out?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #13

Silverado humming noise

WELL, MAYBE JUST LET IT GO AWAY AND DON'T BECOME OBSESSED WITH IT. sorry, forgot caps were on. it's a GM truck. supposed to make all kinds of noises by design.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Stairguy

Silverado humming noise

thanks ukrkoz thats what i was thinking. im only looking to get about 8 more months out of this truck then ill be getting a new one. It just hard when the thing is paid off, it makes me not want a new truck , it nice having no payment.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #15

Silverado humming noise

don't sell it. drive it to death. be nice to it and keep it. nothing is better than paid for vehicle. why would you get yourself into debt again? it starts? drives you where you need to? hauls? what else do you need? oh, i know. small subwoofer, so you don't hear that humm. $140 amazon, no big deal.