Scan Tool Recommendations? - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Scan Tool Recommendations?

Having problems with the old Chevy Cobalt (2008), I connected my code reader and got an error message. After a little research found out all vehicles starting in 2008 have to be CAN (Controller–area network compliant).

Well since my old code reader is not upgradable it is time for a new one.

I was looking at the innova bk 700-299 that is in Napa monthly flyer. I could not find any information about this online (even at the companies website). When I typed it in Google and clicked on a link that brought me to U-Tube that the company posted the 3160 comes up. Is this the same scanner? To answer my own question, I just talked to Napa and they said it is the same as the 3160, the 700-299 is their stock #.

Well looking for recommendations on a scan tool with the same type of features the 3160 has. Are there other features I should consider?

BTW brought the Cobalt to O'Riellys and it is pointing to a bad MAP sensor. They said they didn't have the part in stock. Called NAPA and they said they do not even list a MAP sensor for that vehicle. ???? Called a different O'Rielly and they also said they do not have a listing for that vehicle. 2008 Chevy Cobolt 2.2.

Advertisement

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

What kind of cellphone do you have? Do you have a laptop with Bluetooth?

I picked up a generic Bluetooth OBD2 adapter from Ebay for about $35 or so. It connects to my Droid X and I use an app called Torque. It will do basic code reads, show you what your car is doing, and will log stuff. Works pretty good with both the wife's 2003 Ford and my 2010 Ford.

You can also get programs for your Mac or PC that will interface with the reader as well that will do the same things. That may be an option as well.

As for the 2008 Cobalt - I don't think that car has a MAP senor. MAP Sensors are only used for Speed Density style Fuel injection systems. Most cars use MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors and those do tend to go bad. I checked Rockauto.com and they show a MAF for your car.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement

itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Just called the dealer, there is a MAP sensor on the car. Not sure why O'Rielly and Napa don't list one.

I have a Black Berry Storm for a phone, my laptop I am not sure if it has blue tooth or not. Not sure at this point I would want to haul it to the shed to work on the car.

Does the program you have show live data? This is a feature I would like since the trouble shooting process I found requires the voltage at the sensor and live data will show this for you.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

I've seen in action a nice scanning tool from "Scantool", www.scantool.net, which interfaces with either/both a laptop or Android phones via USB cables. At one shop, where I know the owner, he uses his Android phone and a cable link to diagnose auto's more than his very expensive unit. I like the laptop version as it shows a simulated gauge cluster which is easy to understand. These are in the $85-$150 range. NO, I don't work for them, just looked it up on the net.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Sorry for not getting back sooner. The app I have for my Droid does show live data - it has a configurable "gauge cluster" that you can set to show a bunch of different parameters. I've got one set to show RPM, O2 sensor voltage, MAF rate, etc. You can also log the results and it saves it to a CSV file so you can import into Excel to analyze the data. If you know the PID you are looking for, you can set it up to log and report on that as well.

There is a more capable program for my laptop (but it's $89) that can do even more.

Hope that helps.
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

This one gets high marks and seems reasonably priced. You can download the manual and read up on what functions it has in detail.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...ner-98614.html

Advertisement

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote